apple cider vinegar

I add less than 1/2 cup of ACV to my 5 gal. waterer when I fill it up and I never have algae in it and the Gals don't see to have an issue with it. I've been doing this for the past 18 months with no ill effects. My waterer is all plastic.

Last edited:
I've not read anything bad about ACV except unless you add too much. If you add more than a half cup per 5 gals you'll probably make it too acidic and your chickens may not drink it and get dehydrated. I've tested mine in the past with a kit I use for my aquarium and as I remember it was neutral to barely acidic on the scale. My Gals don't seem to mind it at all. As a matter of fact they go through a lot of water these days with the heat here in central NC. However, I've noticed the eggs are already pickled though...
tongue.png

Quote:
Do you have any sources on this you could direct me to? Very interesting. I have been getting Bragg's by the gallon for about $11 through a buying club I run with UNFI. Sure beats $20 at the store.

It's great stuff. I take a swig of it myself every once in a while. I did do a bit of research on it. If a human consumes too much it can leach the calcium out of your bones. I don't drink it every day for that reason.. It's on the internet can't remember where I found it. I would think it would apply to chickens as well. I rotate, plain water, ACV Bragg's, and the vit and mineral water. Vit and mineral especially helps on these really hot days.

Back
Top Bottom