April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

How long do you all give your chicks heat for? I usually start at 95 degrees and decrease 5 degrees each week until it matches room temperature, but I would like to get the heat lamp turned off asap as I don't trust heat lamps much and I don't have a brooder plate. My chicks will be 4 weeks on Thursday... so technically week 4 would be 75 degrees.. our house is usually 70 do you think that is okay?
I think you can just Give them a little cardboard box with some hay in it so they can snuggle. I have had a broody abandon her chicks to roost with the flock at 3.5 weeks- feathered - but it was April and snow on the ground... (canada) and they all go in and out of the little cuddle box and they are just fine.

So far we’re at 9 out of 11 eggs hatched. I have one working it’s way out of the egg now, that’ll probably hatch before too long. One egg without much action, but tomorrow is day 21 so I’ll leave it for a couple more days. Here’s some pics of three of my little fluff balls 🥰
723FAF83-010F-4ECC-8A55-0346E1D6FE91.jpeg
BBFE15DF-B51C-4E4A-B6A4-FBAECADFE036.jpeg

A chicken bra?!? Do explain! I’ll have to google it because what I’m imagining probably isn’t accurate :lau
I have a hen with a pendulous crop. I just found out about chicken bras tonight from another member of Backyard Chickens. I was going to buy one on line but it was going to be $40 after shipping and take a month, so I got out a little tiny hotel sewing kit and an old tensor bandage my kids play doctor with and made one. I made a racer back version... Tried it on my huge maine coon cat- figured if it fits him, I should be able to get it on her.

Here is Scrabble wearing the new spring collection of chicken bras, racer back in powder pink.

Attachments

• IMG_4402.JPG
    IMG_4402.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4403.JPG
    IMG_4403.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4404.JPG
    IMG_4404.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4406.JPG
    IMG_4406.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 5
I have a hen with a pendulous crop. I just found out about chicken bras tonight from another member of Backyard Chickens. I was going to buy one on line but it was going to be $40 after shipping and take a month, so I got out a little tiny hotel sewing kit and an old tensor bandage my kids play doctor with and made one. I made a racer back version... Tried it on my huge maine coon cat- figured if it fits him, I should be able to get it on her.

Here is Scrabble wearing the new spring collection of chicken bras, racer back in powder pink.
Ummm this is my favorite thing on the internet today 🤣

So far two hatched, one didn't make it out of their shell, and eight left. Pretty laggy, but we are only day 22. It got a little cool in there a couple of times, so I'm not all that worried.

last time I looked it was two more pips and three more peeps. Three with nothing going on.
B59F12A0-340C-4437-A4EB-D85E3E9C6527.jpeg

and we butchered three roosters (9 is too many, it was like Harvey Weinstein directing a movie about Tailhook)
B59F12A0-340C-4437-A4EB-D85E3E9C6527.jpeg
, so down net one. But hopeful for tomorrow.

I got a new bator and set more eggs 😂 I have lots of eggs on lockdown too. Husband bought me the identical incubator i already have instead of the cheap one. It's all set up and ready to go 😍

I'm getting duck eggs again to hatch for a friend. I should get them sometime this week.
I thought you were done with hatching ducks!!! :p

:clap :wee
Great my two broody are fo to hatch next week 27-28 and a third one sounds like she’s going to be broody soon. I’m going to be in the May HAL too:love:fl
My broody has the same due date! ;)

How long do you all give your chicks heat for? I usually start at 95 degrees and decrease 5 degrees each week until it matches room temperature, but I would like to get the heat lamp turned off asap as I don't trust heat lamps much and I don't have a brooder plate. My chicks will be 4 weeks on Thursday... so technically week 4 would be 75 degrees.. our house is usually 70 do you think that is okay?
They should be just fine! I try and reduce faster than that and monitor the particular group. If they huddle together they can lose heat even faster.

Lol I love it! I have had good luck with pendulous crop resolving if caught early!

Back
Top Bottom