Votes: 6 5.2%
  • 31 - 40 eggs

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • 41 - 50 eggs

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • 51+

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
Just candled my Pilgrim eggs, okay candled them again, and there are at least 3 of 5 developing! I hadn't thought any of them were. Now I just have to get another bator! Even tho my poor little Hedemora eggs are in Philly, traveling a whopping 181 miles in 3 days, I'm still holding out hope they will get here and they will deserve the best bator after their ordeal. Going to swing by a feed store for a styro and see what they have on sale that will fit more Pilgrim eggs. :)

I sent my pm about 10 min ago and then started reading all the posts. I'm definitely small time compared to you guys!!! Feeling kinda small, but it's a thrill however many you have. This is my second time incubating in my little Brinsea mini advanced. I hatched out 7 OEs on Feb 25. They all hatched!! It was awesome!

For this HAL, I have 3 bbs marans eggs under my silkie, Presley. She's only 9 mos old, so I'm pretty impressed with her. I only gave her 3, but she's doing great and due to hatch on Easter Day.

I also just put 7 bbs marans in the incubator today, so they are due on April 11.

Good luck everyone!!

I candled my 3 eggs under my broody today. They are marans, so hard to see, but one of them looks like a dud compared to the other two. I almost decided to crack it open, but "chickened" out at the last minute. I'll give it more time. \:confused:

Sex link
Game mixed
Silkies
OEGB
Japanese Bantam (last eggs before the roo got killed)
Japanese bantam mixed (from the coop)
And we stuck in a couple from our lab orp just to see
47 in march 20 7:15 p
Hatch day April 11-13th
11080873_884696148261759_7370790072384544204_o.jpg

Wanting to candle....
Reeeeaaaaaalllll bad tomorrow.
But gonna hold off till 27
1f601.png

We didn't do any of the drawing on of air cells this time, did that last time (with pencil) think since we have a full Bator doing every.egg maybe cooles too much during candle...possibly resulting in bad hatch?? Just going to do like we has been. Watching with no writing on our eggs but their born on dates
1f601.png

I usually draw out the air cells on mine too, but with as many as I've got going this time...no way! It'll take me forever. It took me, like, 5 minutes to candle them. My flashlight is bright enough that I don't even have to pick them up.
For what its worth, some of my hens take some pretty long breaks when they get up once a day. Some only take about 15 minutes, others go out and have a good dust bath and scratch and can be out there for an hour! I haven't noticed any different between their hatch times though :)

My little Hedemora (eggs) have made it to Des Moines! Hope they make it to IC tomorrow morning, have a hugely long day at work and then class after.

Last edited:
i just took the plunge 10 mins ago and bought a GFQ 1502 cabinet, i am so disappointed in my poor hatch rate with my tabletop, and wonder if some deaths are result of poor stable temps and cool/hot spots-how much better do they do?? (who can tell me personal stories of their switch to the 'big guns'??) i got a good deal with ebay bucks earned equalling my shipping costs.

I set 47 on the 18th. Hatch day will be the 7th. 31 barred rocks, 3 rock/leghorn cross and 13 barnyard mix. I still have 21 chicks inside in the brooder. Hopefully they can go to the outside brooder in the next couple of the weeks to make room. Since losing 2 from that hatch (1 didnt absorb yolk and 1 small with curled toes) everyone is healthy and growing. Its almost time to separate the rocks from the silkies and cochins. I will be candling 47 on saturday night.

@blkjak, I know what your mean about jockeying around chicks to make room. I'm doing a little of that myself. It sure would help if it warmed up 20 degrees or so here in Mich.

I candled my broody silkie's 3 bbs marans eggs today and removed one clear one. They are dark brown, so really hard to see, but it was so diff from the other two that I figured it was clear, and it was. I also candled my 7 bbs marans in my brinsea and had to remove one of those. Just happens to be the same hen...must be she wasn't getting the love.

Wishing everyone successful hatching!!

I'd like to join!

23 Barred Rock in 3/24
34 silkies in tomorrow
I also have more silkie eggs to pick up, a dozen khaki campbells, and a dozen more Barred Rocks.
Call duck eggs, and gold laced wyandottes are on order. :)

So 106+ eggs to be hatched in April so far. I'm sure I will have a few more that I run across that I won't be able to resist. I'm considering some Muscovy eggs but those would qualify for a May HAL by the time I got them in the bator
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom