Votes: 6 5.2%
  • 31 - 40 eggs

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • 41 - 50 eggs

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • 51+

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
I am so excited. I just found this page yesterday. I set more eggs after I set for the 6th annual HAL. I tried to make a known mother go broody but it didn't work. So I placed her eggs in the bator I tried to have her sit on. They are hatching! One is fully hatched. One is externally pipped. 2 are internally pipped and 2 are making knocking noises in the shells. They are ALL alive! In the HAL I set 17 eggs. One hatched and it died the next day due to a feeder mistake. :( So my little heart is racing! Loving to hear my hatching babies. :)

Ok now that some have had successful hatches. How do you sex your chicks and how accurate have you been?

Since I raise them out a far ways to select from, I don't bother sexing until it is obvious. So I'm no help here!

Update: up to 19 out, 2 in process, and a couple moving when candled. Looking at a close to 50% hatch rate right now at day 23 ending.

I have one on it's way few others are moving like crazy

Day 15 today...7 little eggs in the brinsea mini. I thought it was foolproof and came back to find that my bf had both the wells full of water. Apparently, not boyfriend proof. Since the eggs are such a deep green I can not even see into them. We will know this weekend if my eggs are dead or not. :(

We have a nice collection of 18 eggs to incubate. Hoping to collect 24 to start!

I hope everyone else is doing well with their hatches! Time for me to get building some hutches!

Ok now that some have had successful hatches. How do you sex your chicks and how accurate have you been?
Some breeds are easier than others. My cuckoo marans I can guess with about 90% accuracy by the color of the down feathers. My last batch of EEs is my first try at guessing going by wing length in the first few days, and I think that is going to be 100%. My Polish, d'uccle, and silkies are much harder, for me anyway. Everytime I think I have it figured out, one surprises me. I have sold silkie "pullets" at 8 weeks that I had to exchange when they started crowing. I don't even try to sell them any more until I am absolutely certain, which is usually 3-4 months.

Speaking of silkies, my broody hatched 7 of nine for her HAL. I candled 24 cuckoo marans at day13, and I think I have 20 developers, 2 questionable, and 2 infertiles. Those eggs are just so hard the see through that I just have to go by the silhouette

Back
Top Bottom