Votes: 6 5.2%
  • 31 - 40 eggs

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • 41 - 50 eggs

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • 51+

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
joining late, but I have chicks that should hatch mon/tues! We set 28, and removed 7 that were infertile and had one quit at day 11. today is lockdown, when I get out of work!! I am pretty excited! This is a test batch in the cooler bator my hubby made for me! we used my dads foam ones last year..but i wanted my own. I cant wait to see what we get... I have a BLRW roo and 3 hens, a cream legbar pair, a trio of jubilee orps, a splash orp, 2 silkie hens, and a couple BA and a leghorn hen!!
You have a nice array of chickens to hatch. Good luck! I hope they all come out like popcorn!
jumpy.gif

Purpletie,

This is her first time as a broody. I currently have a pair of co-broodies running around with 6 chicks. I got tired of fighting broodiness this year and decided to let them go for it.

Well just an update of our 4/20 hatch, came out to 20 of 36 eggs started. 2 died so we have 18 babies hatch and doing well! Just wanted to share a bit of hands on experience to those about to hatch (lol ac/dc) we used a TSC Pro series model 4200, with a turner and fan. We live in the very humid state of Louisiana and room humidity ranged from 55% to 77% thru out the hatch, I dry incubated. As I went to lockdown I found a pip and peeping from within on 4/18/15.
When my humidity reached 80% (with NO water added at lockdown and a lot of praying I was doing the right thing) I worried humidity was to high so I very slightly (I mean fingernail width) lifted that 2nd red plug. The next two chicks were sticky
barnie.gif
. The second one was malpositioned and as I had watched it pip with a bit of blood appearing I don't think I did this, but... This was my second hatch first one was in a different incubator with 1 cuckoo marans male of 15 eggs set. I threw none away that I set since I don't want to kill a baby with my inexperience and had no "bad smells," but hatching debries and eggtopsies stink :(. So even if water is dripping DO NOT TOUCH that incubator. It is what it is at lockdown your mistakes will be evident and usually it's to late to fix it for this hatch. I learned that for me a target of 99 degrees F would most likely be better to get the 21 days, I may never need to add water, and I've got a 1963 penny that will go into the water well when I set the eggs. I wish I had a better than 55% hatch rate but I'm trying again in 2 weeks
thumbsup.gif
God Bless ya'll and happy hatching!

Well just an update of our 4/20 hatch, came out to 20 of 36 eggs started. 2 died so we have 18 babies hatch and doing well! Just wanted to share a bit of hands on experience to those about to hatch (lol ac/dc) we used a TSC Pro series model 4200, with a turner and fan. We live in the very humid state of Louisiana and room humidity ranged from 55% to 77% thru out the hatch, I dry incubated. As I went to lockdown I found a pip and peeping from within on 4/18/15.
When my humidity reached 80% (with NO water added at lockdown and a lot of praying I was doing the right thing) I worried humidity was to high so I very slightly (I mean fingernail width) lifted that 2nd red plug. The next two chicks were sticky
barnie.gif
. The second one was malpositioned and as I had watched it pip with a bit of blood appearing I don't think I did this, but... This was my second hatch first one was in a different incubator with 1 cuckoo marans male of 15 eggs set. I threw none away that I set since I don't want to kill a baby with my inexperience and had no "bad smells," but hatching debries and eggtopsies stink :(. So even if water is dripping DO NOT TOUCH that incubator. It is what it is at lockdown your mistakes will be evident and usually it's to late to fix it for this hatch. I learned that for me a target of 99 degrees F would most likely be better to get the 21 days, I may never need to add water, and I've got a 1963 penny that will go into the water well when I set the eggs. I wish I had a better than 55% hatch rate but I'm trying again in 2 weeks
thumbsup.gif
God Bless ya'll and happy hatching!
My first 2 hatches were at 55% as well. Very frustrating. This time I was at 64%. Better, but not good enough for my taste!

21 at lockdown. 14 hatched. One died 2 days after hatch. I had 5 fully formed in the shell that the veins receded but never flipped. Any thoughts here folks? Maybe too big of air space? All I can think of is there wasn't enough room to turn.

My next lockdown is April 30 with another at May 3... I'm praying for better results.

My last chicks hatched over night and today. We had one pip and reseal overnight so it didn't make it. 11/12 for my first incubation isn't bad. Going to take more pics tonight now that they are all fluffed up. They are SO cute!

Here are the last babies to hatch. First 2 pics are the ones who hatched today while I was at work. The other 5 hatched over night and were ready this morning.

Back
Top Bottom