Votes: 6 5.2%
  • 31 - 40 eggs

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • 41 - 50 eggs

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • 51+

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
My babies are two weeks old today... it is going to be harder than I thought to get the pictures of them with the tea cups... LOL! But, it's still fun to try!

Cindy and her puffy cheeks

Goldie

Herb

Lemon Drop

Lucy

Lucy (second picture because her face is sooo pretty!) :)

Sweet babies.

Here are my 5 week olds.

Congrats to both of you on your hatches! Sorry about the malpositioned pipers...

Great to hear your broody did such a great job!

Thanks. I had 2 eggs disappear that I have no idea where they went. I found one chick fluffed up and dead during hatching, so not sure what happened there. Now if mama will just lead them out of the nest box we will be good. It is an extra large box so I put food and water in with them, now she doesn't want to leave. It's not all bad. They can get a bit bigger and stronger before they go to ground that way. I just worry about one getting out and isolated before the rest come out. Luckily, I am able to check on them several times a day.

Thanks. I had 2 eggs disappear that I have no idea where they went. I found one chick fluffed up and dead during hatching, so not sure what happened there. Now if mama will just lead them out of the nest box we will be good. It is an extra large box so I put food and water in with them, now she doesn't want to leave. It's not all bad. They can get a bit bigger and stronger before they go to ground that way. I just worry about one getting out and isolated before the rest come out. Luckily, I am able to check on them several times a day.
I haven't had the pleasure of hatching with a broody yet...my flock is still young and the ones that have been laying for a bit are not broody at all~ My silkies just started laying so i may get one soon!

She's probably just content to sit on her babies for while...Sorry about the squished chick...that sucks!

I haven't had the pleasure of hatching with a broody yet...my flock is still young and the ones that have been laying for a bit are not broody at all~ My silkies just started laying so i may get one soon!

She's probably just content to sit on her babies for while...Sorry about the squished chick...that sucks!

Yeah. I think that's what happened. The mama is a bit, not sure what the right term is, nervous doesn't quite describe her, dingy or ditzy might be closer. She is a favorite of ours as she likes to be held but she is also very skittish and flighty at anything she is unsure of. On the other hand, she is bossy with the other girls so I think she will be a good protector. She is 3 years old and this is her first time to be broody.

My other broody mama did a co-hatch and they hatched 6/8. They are both less than a year old. The chicks are 5 weeks and at about 2 weeks the co-broody stepped out and now the mama is slowly stepping away from the chicks during the day. They all still want to roost with her at night but a lot of times in the day they are off on their own.

It is very interesting to watch their behaviors. I am liking the broody hatches.

Yeah. I think that's what happened. The mama is a bit, not sure what the right term is, nervous doesn't quite describe her, dingy or ditzy might be closer. She is a favorite of ours as she likes to be held but she is also very skittish and flighty at anything she is unsure of. On the other hand, she is bossy with the other girls so I think she will be a good protector. She is 3 years old and this is her first time to be broody.

My other broody mama did a co-hatch and they hatched 6/8. They are both less than a year old. The chicks are 5 weeks and at about 2 weeks the co-broody stepped out and now the mama is slowly stepping away from the chicks during the day. They all still want to roost with her at night but a lot of times in the day they are off on their own.

It is very interesting to watch their behaviors. I am liking the broody hatches.
Lucky you have the broodies! I can't wait. What kind of chickens are your broodies? I have heard that cochins are highly regarded as broodies...I even found one farm that raises peacocks uses them exclusively as hatchers! LOL

Back
Top Bottom