April Hatch Along

Pics
That's exactly how I've been adding water! And I carefully positioned the sponge in a location well within range of the long plastic straw that I've been using. :D

I use bendy straws, linked together. :D

24 new babies that got moved to brooder.

Have another 21 out. Had 3 zipped but dead.

So 48 have hatched so far.

My wellies are holding out none of those yes

Beautiful! Sorry you lost a few....

I need some help. This is my first go around with an incubator, so also my first go around with candling. I culled three eggs because I could clearly tell nothing was going on, but I am unsure what's going on with these three. Are they blood rings? Are they growing and I just can't tell? I would just leave them, but I am leaving for five days and my husband will be in charge of monitoring the temp and humidity. Unfortunately this decision needs to be made by tomorrow as I cannot risk explosions on his watch.
These are all on day 7.

Egg 1:

Egg 2: the ring does NOT go all the way around...

Egg 3:

I will be gone until day 13, are any of these worth risking? This is from the batch of badly shaken and battered eggs. All of them had detached air cells.
Thank you all for your input. :)

I need some help. This is my first go around with an incubator, so also my first go around with candling. I culled three eggs because I could clearly tell nothing was going on, but I am unsure what's going on with these three. Are they blood rings? Are they growing and I just can't tell? I would just leave them, but I am leaving for five days and my husband will be in charge of monitoring the temp and humidity. Unfortunately this decision needs to be made by tomorrow as I cannot risk explosions on his watch.
These are all on day 7.

Egg 1:

Egg 3:

I will be gone until day 13, are any of these worth risking? This is from the batch of badly shaken and battered eggs. All of them had detached air cells.
Thank you all for your input. :)

I hope someone else jumps in before you make a decision. The first two have black spots and no clear veins that make me think early death. The third one is hard to tell. It might be scrambled but those don't usually explode, I think. In my hatch I would toss the first two and wait on the third. I've been wrong before so hopefully you'll get more input.

Two loud chicks. One is in the Wheaten Ameraucana bin and one is in the Cream Brabanter bin. Many pips and peeps. Humidity steady at 63-67%. Temp steady at 99.3ish. I'm nervous about the set up of the hatcher bins. I hope temp and humidity and ventilation are stable throughout the whole bator.
I'll take out the first hatchers tonight or tomorrow morning. I'll lower temp tomorrow (day21) to 98ish. I'm hoping I can get separate brooders set up for each breed.

These are all on day 7.

Egg 1:

Egg 3:

Thank you all for your input.
smile.png

None look viable to me, although I'd like to see #3 shining from the air cell end. #2 looks like early quitter, the blood vessels collapsed, they don't have to make a full ring.

Still yet, just on day 7, you could probably leave them in without any risk of explosion (they don't look rotten). I have an early quitter still in mine, because its keeping others in place. I probably won't remove it until I lay the others down.

Pictures don't always tell the whole story, the second picture of #2 looks like its just slow developing, but the other picture is obviously collapsed veins. So I'd hate to say toss them at this point.

Four are out this morning and one died from the stickiness, I guess. I added a wet washrag in there to help get the humidity up. I've found that that's a really easy way to do it instead of trying to get down to the wells underneath my grating and shelf liner. I had to help #4 because it was sticky and partly glued, wing to head. What a pain, probably more so for the chick than for me though. I used to run into this a lot with my guinea eggs. I think from now on I will incubate the Marans by themselves, dry, and do anything else a little bit higher. Or try the sanding the aircell trick someone just mentioned (WVduckchick?)

Back
Top Bottom