April Hatch Along

Pics
Sorry for your loss.

Between the EHAL and what just hatched I have 102 babies in the brooder.

I kinda fell off the deep end. New cabinet and I beckoned me to keep it full.

I hear you! I think that I might have to buy myself another incubator for the fall. My flock is getting bigger.
lau.gif

Oh my... I have a pip and the little bugger started zipping. day 19 only officially started this afternoon. Additionally, the pip and beginning zip are almost middle of the egg, but close to the wrong end... not the air cell end. I can hear the chick peeping though. It's an active one. I'm worried that it hasn't finished absorbing yolk and veins at this point. Of course I'd notice the wee trouble maker after 10 pm on my way to bed. I know it's best to leave it alone, but for how long?

It's not out of the question that my eggs could be ahead of schedule. We had some really warm days, so the house got heated up and I'd say that my incubator temps might have averaged a bit warmer than I'd figured they would when I started out. Usually my ambient room temp is lower... around 65, so I set my incuview accordingly, but the last week or so the house has been well into the 70's. It seemed like the incubator was OK, but when I averaged out the high and low's showing on my accurite backup, it does look like it might have been more like 100-101 rather than 99.5 in there.

Sorry for your loss.

Between the EHAL and what just hatched I have 102 babies in the brooder.

I kinda fell off the deep end. New cabinet and I beckoned me to keep it full.

How do you keep track of what's what? I have a homemade cabinet and my hatcher tray system failed. There are now a few chicks that I don't know which tray they came out of- because they escaped and were running around on the shelf behind. I'll inspect the egg shells tomorrow, but for now I don't know who's who. I need some better hatcher trays.:rolleyes:

How do you keep track of what's what? I have a homemade cabinet and my hatcher tray system failed. There are now a few chicks that I don't know which tray they came out of- because they escaped and were running around on the shelf behind. I'll inspect the egg shells tomorrow, but for now I don't know who's who. I need some better hatcher trays.:rolleyes:

Why not try hatching bags? They actually work really, really well... plastic expanding mesh bags secured closed with clips... or you can make your own using pantyhose or knee highs, simply cut long enough section and knot both ends for escape proof hatching ease... :)

Why not try hatching bags? They actually work really, really well... plastic expanding mesh bags secured closed with clips... or you can make your own using pantyhose or knee highs, simply cut long enough section and knot both ends for escape proof hatching ease... :)

I might have heard of this but don't remember anyone explaining it. They don't get their nails stuck? Do you have an example? I love the idea because they would work well in my system. Do tell me more.

I know there are at least 3 that started to zip but died in the shell last night. My need to open the bator probably caused them to stick. I was trying to avoid that. I'm learning.

Here's a quick pic from this morning. 21 so far and today is Day 21.

There are 2 that I won't be able to officially identify until I get shells out. I have Gulls, Marans, Ameraucana, and Pavlovskaya in there.

I really hope today goes well. I want at least 10 more to hatch, but 20 more would be even better!

Oh my... I have a pip and the little bugger started zipping. day 19 only officially started this afternoon. Additionally, the pip and beginning zip are almost middle of the egg, but close to the wrong end... not the air cell end. I can hear the chick peeping though. It's an active one. I'm worried that it hasn't finished absorbing yolk and veins at this point. Of course I'd notice the wee trouble maker after 10 pm on my way to bed. I know it's best to leave it alone, but for how long?

It's not out of the question that my eggs could be ahead of schedule. We had some really warm days, so the house got heated up and I'd say that my incubator temps might have averaged a bit warmer than I'd figured they would when I started out. Usually my ambient room temp is lower... around 65, so I set my incuview accordingly, but the last week or so the house has been well into the 70's. It seemed like the incubator was OK, but when I averaged out the high and low's showing on my accurite backup, it does look like it might have been more like 100-101 rather than 99.5 in there.

I was wondering if this would happen for you. I have had an early hatcher every single time. Leave it be and it will call out to its friends.

Back
Top Bottom