April Hatch Along

Pics
Oh no, thats awful!!  How many more do you have in the incubator? I had to toss two last time I candled, one clear one early quitter that I hadn't been positive about. I have a couple more that look like they might be quitters, one being the one with the air sac on the side of the egg :-(  tomorrow is my day 14 candle so if they still don't look right I think I will toss them, rather not have one explode. Hope the rest of your hatch goes well!  

Ive got 30 more eggs in there, so I should be fine.

Oh no, thats awful!!  How many more do you have in the incubator? I had to toss two last time I candled, one clear one early quitter that I hadn't been positive about. I have a couple more that look like they might be quitters, one being the one with the air sac on the side of the egg :-(  tomorrow is my day 14 candle so if they still don't look right I think I will toss them, rather not have one explode. Hope the rest of your hatch goes well!  

One of my local, non-shipped Cream Legbar eggs developed an air cell on the side as well. It was so odd. I didn't hold out much hope for it, but it just pipped right in the middle of the air cell. Here's hoping it can zip okay!

Last edited:
Aannndddd....we have pips!! I was totally caught off guard! I walked by the incubator and heard chirping!! Sure enough, 5 beautiful cracks in 5 beautiful shells!! (And a couple were exactly on my "x marks the spot I think they just might pip" markings!)

:clap

I've got 12 SDW OEGBs, 1 mixed color OEGB, and 6 Seramas in the hatcher now, no pips yet. I waited an extra 12 hours to move some that didn't look as far along.

I've also incubated 4 cochins that started out under my broody! She keeps getting off the eggs after they pip! One tonight was cold. I didnt get any sound from it, ao I stuck it in my shirt while I fed the other chicks, and it started peeping! Put it in the Bator and it hatched. I'll give it back to her after it dries a little more.

Oh I forgot, my broody SDW and broody Serama have part of the eggs that I started incubating, gave to them on day 10. I'm curious to see if theirs hatch before or after mine!

:clap

I've got 12 SDW OEGBs, 1 mixed color OEGB, and 6 Seramas in the hatcher now, no pips yet. I waited an extra 12 hours to move some that didn't look as far along.

I've also incubated 4 cochins that started out under my broody! She keeps getting off the eggs after they pip! One tonight was cold. I didnt get any sound from it, ao I stuck it in my shirt while I fed the other chicks, and it started peeping! Put it in the Bator and it hatched. I'll give it back to her after it dries a little more.

Aww - so great! The more I am part of the "hatching community" the more amazed I am by the resilience of little chicks - in and out of their shells!! :jumpy

Somebody needs to help me with my hatching marathon. Just ordered 24 of my first blue maran eggs online. And I am letting all of my hens lay on their own eggs. I already have 55 bourbons and 31 sulmtalers. I am going to die if I reach the 100 total mark. HELP!!!

Finished my April Hatchs. Some good some not so good. 3 poults hatched this weekend and are being taught how to ear drink etc by my 1 wk old Easter hatch of chicks.

Somebody needs to help me with my hatching marathon. Just ordered 24 of my first blue maran eggs online. And I am letting all of my hens lay on their own eggs. I already have 55 bourbons and 31 sulmtalers. I am going to die if I reach the 100 total mark. HELP!!!

I have a sneaking suspicion that this website is probably not the place to help you stop... :lau In fact, I know for sure there are folks who will say, "What? Only 100? That's a small flock!!"
Best of luck with your increasing brood - in truth, you will end up doing some subtraction as they grow and things will right themselves. :)

#2 ducky has small external pip. #1 is ready for a friend other than it's stuffed horse.
#2 ducky hatched early morning, 1:28am. Doing well and older duckling is really happy and just mothering it up.

Thanks so much to everyone that gave encouragement. Those last days were nervous ones. And congratulations to everyone that has had a successful hatch. And condolences to those of you that lost hatches.

Back
Top Bottom