April Hatch Along

Pics
green newbie putting her first incubation into lockdown tonight....and the information in this thread is both educational and encouraging...
May all the lockdowns hatch the most successful and most correct chickens or other fowl that you have yet had!

I still have about 5 eggs that are Really questionable at best - am putting them under sequester basket in lockdown so that if any actually hatch I'll know which chicks they are and it will add to my learning. Another 5 are somewhat questionable but had movement 3 days ago. All of these are a rare breed and shipped eggs. None were visibly injured in shipping but I neglected candling before setting. I did wait 12 hours to rest before setting. I'm using Farm Innovator with turner, humidity, and fan. Humidity has been between 30-50ish%. Temp has been stable 99.5-100 degrees. We've candled 3 times so far...marked air cells at 2nd candle and then 3rd candle showed some increase - 1/8th to 1/4 inch. Had 5 eggs that were clears at 1st candling on day 10 and 1 quitter as of the last candling 3 days ago.

So - started with 40 eggs - 5 clears+1 quitter = 34 "possible"; then another 5 to 10 that are iffy = about 24 that are good possibilities - but who said I was counting my chickens before they hatch ;) LOL....

Pheasant eggs made it today. Only 120 not 220.

But they got smashed pretty good by the post office.

Only 81 weren't cracked or busted. But a lot of those are covered in egg goo and styrofoam they were packed in.

Only 81 weren't cracked or busted. But a lot of those are covered in egg goo and styrofoam they were packed in.

Wow! That's awful!
1f622.png
I'm so sorry. It is astounding how terrible the PO can be. :(

Well on good note kinda. Went to move my quail eggs to lockdown. They are all already pipped. So I either marked wrong day or the bator ran warm.

They are now in the hatcher

Holy smokes, that's horrible. I'd think the shipper is partially responsible too. A few is one thing, but that many couldn't have been packed very well. :/

All 13 of my chicks are thriving, and getting wing feathers. I'm going to order 12 frizzle EE/olive eggs to set in may. It's addicting.
[/IMG]

I had a similar experience today. Terrible packaging, regardless of how the PO handles them. When shippers wrap each one individually, even with the roughest treatment, there might be one broken or cracked, but the majority stay intact (of course air cells are always dicey, no matter how well they are packaged.

I had a similar experience today. Terrible packaging, regardless of how the PO handles them. When shippers wrap each one individually, even with the roughest treatment, there might be one broken or cracked, but the majority stay intact (of course air cells are always dicey, no matter how well they are packaged.

:hit

Please tell us those didn't come from someone on BYC :hugs

Back
Top Bottom