April Hatch Thread--Come Join Us!

Quote:
I think that's what helps me too. I have 7 dogs and even tho they are in & out during the day & night I think the sight & scent is the biggest deterrent to predators. Over the past yrs mine have killed coons, skunks, armadillos, opossums & even hawks. They've run off bobcats & coyotes both.

Those are some good dogs!!

To those who have had devastating hatches in the past... what is the biggest lesson you learned from it? And what's the best advice you would give other new hatchers?

Sorry for your bad hatches!!! Hope this one goes MUCH better!
Good question! As for me, I think the best thing I learned other than having a hydrometer- is with my shipped eggs to let them sit a min. of 10 hours once they arrive & are unpacked before putting in the bator. And once set, to leave them w/o turning for the first 7 days. There is so much more- but in the beginning of the incubation period to me these are the most important...

Quote:

Those are some good dogs!!
Thanks Maah, yes they are. Dixie, my aussie is now 12 yrs & slowing down so much- but she is 'training' Millie to follow in her footsteps. Millie is about 7-8 mo old, she just showed up on our front porch last Nov. the vet said she was maybe 4wks at the time. She was in TERRIBLE shape- full of worms, ticks & fleas. She had huge cuts & gouges all over her body & head. But she was a big pup. We've pretty much determined she's lab/dane mix. But a great varmit hunter & watch dog. My pug in my determined armadillo killer LOL the rest are chihuahuas but believe me, they think they are 10ft tall & bullet proof. They back down from nothing. What amazes me is how protective all my dogs are of the poultry, bunnies & goats.

Coco, 10 yrs, best dog ever, scared of chickens, almost caught a rabbit once. :)

I would like to hatch along but I have gotten my eggs now, I have 24 Black Copper Marans, 12 brahma , And 12 barrad rocks. I set the BCM tonight and last saturday I set the Brahma and the BR. Happy hatching

I was thinking Cream leg bar too, but they don't usually just get thrown in willy-nilly, y'know? What about an F1 Olive Egger? Supposedly those blue/green eggs turn in to F2 OE that are olive colored.
I definitely wouldn't expect one to just be thrown in seeing as they are so expensive but it was the only other blue egg layer I could think of. If it were an Olive Egger it would probably not have any bluish tint left to it though, right? Some Easter Eggers still have fairly blue eggs and they are a super common breed. You should definitely hatch it just for curiosity sake. Bonus
woot.gif

Hi. I have some questions and concerns about my eggs. Today is day 7 and i candeled them, but only one had veing. Quite a few had this black spot in them though, my guess was maybe those eggs were developed more and the dark spot was from the developing baby chicks. This is my first time incubating so i dont really know what to think of it. Sorry if the picture were bad I had a hard time taking them.

And btw not all of the pics are of one egg.

Back
Top Bottom