Aquaponics

Gallo,
Nice set up. Now I have something to inspire too. Are the cucumbers hanging from the ceiling? If so is that plastic or steel fence that supports it. Is the broccoli in PVC or gravel beds?
Thanks.

Gallo,
Nice set up. Now I have something to inspire too. Are the cucumbers hanging from the ceiling? If so is that plastic or steel fence that supports it. Is the broccoli in PVC or gravel beds?
Thanks.
Thanks scarecrw! Yes, the cukes are hanging from a section of concrete remesh (6" squares) that is suspended from the metal fencing supports (the hoop house is made from galvanized top rail fencing material). We grow the broccoli in gravel and leafy greens like lettuces, Swiss chard, sorrel, etc. in the pvc tubes.

Ok, folks... you're inciting me to a serious case of envy here. I got all hyped up to start an aquaponic system, but after doing the research, decided it might be a good idea to table it for now because of my zone 4 climate. By the time I got everything cycled and running well, I'd get hit with an arctic blast, so, unless I have a good sized green house, with supplemental heat... I don't think it would be practical. Perhaps, in my future, but not now! Love the pics of the fresh veggies.

Thanks for the compliment!  It sounds like you may have had blossom end rot, a condition usually caused by a calcium problem.  This can sometimes be caused by inconsistent watering, but if you do a search for "blossom end rot cucumbers" you might be able to identify the cause of it in your circumstances.  The good thing about the AP system is that watering is never inconsistent.  

Well looks like from what i found on a quick search our fruits were just unpollinated fruit, apparently it shrivels up while still tiny which is what ours did. Guess I should have researched it rather than figure the folks were correct in their diagnosis, might have given me a much better harvest. Thanks! :)

Ok, folks... you're inciting me to a serious case of envy here. I got all hyped up to start an aquaponic system, but after doing the research, decided it might be a good idea to table it for now because of my zone 4 climate. By the time I got everything cycled and running well, I'd get hit with an arctic blast, so, unless I have a good sized green house, with supplemental heat... I don't think it would be practical. Perhaps, in my future, but not now! Love the pics of the fresh veggies.

There are lots of people that put systems in their garage or basement, anyplace they have the space and can get some power for growlights for the plants. A basement would be ideal since the temps would fluctuate less.

Let me tell you about the time I decided that I could pay for my son's college by raising gold angel fish. Pet stores assured me that they'd take all the babies I could produce, and figuring the fair market value being about $1.25 - 1.50 for nickel sized fish, and I had a prolific breeding pair, I set up my basement... 900 babies later, the pet stores all gave me the same line... we don't need them. It took me 18 months to unload them all, my electric bills were higher than the return on the fish, my back suffered from all of the water lugging, and my house smelled like a pet shop! All said, it was a wonderful learning experience, and I even had fun doing it. Yeah, I could set it up in my basement, but it's not heated... so, for now, this project is on the back burner. But, some day...

I am doing a pieced together system. I have buckets and NFT. We are trying to get a greenhouse built, but they seen to be so expensive. I can not wait to get this thing going finally! It had been a dream that is a long time coming.

Just not big enough to hold my buckets. I may be able to break it down into smaller routes, but it would then take more pipe. We are trying to figure out of we can build one ourselves. I have tomatoes ready to get planted.

Last edited:
For anyone that just wants to give it a try or doesn't have much room there are ways to make a simple, almost free, miniature setup. Yeah it won't grow a ton, but it will give you an idea. All you need is a 10 gallon fish tank, goldfish, light, and your living room.
Example:
I have 2 - 3 inch long fish in a regular glass tank. I keep a cheap, hang on the side of the tank filter running to keep the water moving. I use a standard fluorescent shop light above the tank but a fish tank light would work too. I had the pink foam insulation stuff laying around, so I cut that to fit inside the tank on the surface of the water, then cut holes in it big enough for plant roots to hang through but not big enough that the whole plant falls through. I took some strawberries and some sage, removed the soil from the roots and shoved them in the holes. The roots hang down in the fish tank water and the foam floats on top keeping leaves, stem, fruit, etc from getting wet. The plants grow great, produce fruit, and need no care. I can keep it anywhere in the house that I would want a fish tank, can decorate with gravel, fun fish stuff, and use any type fish that I like, and it looks great, plus gives food. I had all materials already here, and threw it together in no time. It's obviously not my main aquaponics garden, but its a great, nice looking mini that I love.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom