Aquaponics

Thanks, but I'm not sure if I will keep my pump going through winter. It wasn't expensive but I'd still hate to lose it to cold weather. If I do keep it running I will definitely add some leafy greens and other cool weather veggies to the system. Not sure how cold it gets in AZ but here in OK we get some cold cold weather.

Old thread but wanted to revisit it for an update. We've taken our aquaponics system apart and have converted it all into traditional raised beds and what will be a decorative goldfish pond. Two days of sub 20 degrees killed off all of our fish except one small catfish and 11 small native perch. We lost all the tilapia totaling probably 80lbs of fish that got tossed into the compost bin along with both of our 7lb plecos.

Richnsteph

Old thread but wanted to revisit it for an update. We've taken our aquaponics system apart and have converted it all into traditional raised beds and what will be a decorative goldfish pond. Two days of sub 20 degrees killed off all of our fish except one small catfish and 11 small native perch. We lost all the tilapia totaling probably 80lbs of fish that got tossed into the compost bin along with both of our 7lb plecos.

Richnsteph

Oh no!

We're now starting into year two of our setup. Freezing is less of a problem here in southern, AZ, but our system is actually indoors to avoid the scorching summer sun. I set up our system to supplement my small, outdoor garden. So far we've harvest two Tilapia meals that were delicious and still have about 40-45 Tilapia growing big in the tank. My struggle has actually been with the plants, many of which have not shown much longevity after initially doing well. I'm down to one Swiss Chard plant and about half a dozen red bell pepper plants that supply me with mini-bells every few weeks. I plan to transplant some strawberry plants in the coming days.

We also have problems with some sort of small fly that has become a swarm in the aquaponics room. We can't seem to kill them off and every time we open the door to feed the fish we're greeted by a massive rush of these tiny, seemingly harmless creatures that just won't go away. We refuse to use chemical insecticides and haven't found any effective organic means of eliminating them.

Quote:
I'm glad to hear you're doing well! As far as the small flies go we used a mixture of plain dish soap, lemon juice and water to spray on our plants when we had an outbreak of aphids. It's harmless to the plants and simply suffocates any insect/bug that gets sprayed. Perhaps you could try that? Richnsteph.

Looking at the recent discussions below, I saw aquaponics. For now, I tower garden, outside in summer and 2nd year of inside during cold months.
I actually started learning about aquaponics in regards to a symbiotic fish and garden set up long before doing the tower thing. I still have dreams of setting up something, though I am not sure where the best place would be, though out basement has crossed my mind.
I have a cousin in another state who does the fish and garden thing, who explained his filtering system. We need to take a field trip to see this! Hmmm we homeschool, so I can make this count, right? :)

I should see if his wife is on Bakyard Chickens...

Quote: Richnsteph: I wondered if this thread would catch your attention! Good to hear from you. Have you seen the recent thread re: kiddie pool gardens? Wondering if that could be adapted a bit to make it aquaponic friendly. The biggest issue with it would be the wild heat fluctuations. It would need some sort of insulation.

Looking at the recent discussions below, I saw aquaponics. For now, I tower garden, outside in summer and 2nd year of inside during cold months.
I actually started learning about aquaponics in regards to a symbiotic fish and garden set up long before doing the tower thing. I still have dreams of setting up something, though I am not sure where the best place would be, though out basement has crossed my mind.
I have a cousin in another state who does the fish and garden thing, who explained his filtering system. We need to take a field trip to see this! Hmmm we homeschool, so I can make this count, right? :)

I should see if his wife is on Bakyard Chickens...
Absolutely, aquaponics would be a fantastic topic for any kid to learn the details of ecosystems. How old are your kids? You could certainly gear any science curriculum to match the child's age.

Richnsteph
Sorry to hear you lost all those fish.

lazy gardener and politicalcenter,

We really really hated to loose all those fish but to be honest the system just wasn't doing what we'd hoped it would. We'll not delve into aquaponics again for at least a few years as I'd rather put that effort into our raised beds, chickens (did I tell you about the super cute blue laced red Wyandotte rooster that was given to us?), the upcoming quail run and our (hopefully) bunny run. I've got a good friend that has an amazing garden set up and he's been helping us with the composting and proper planting depths and all the little nit-noid issues that come with growing food. So far he's on 15 months that he's not bought veggies from a store since his garden started producing so I'm putting a lot of stock in his advice.

We'll keep you all posted and good luck with your season!

Richnsteph

lazy gardener and politicalcenter,

We really really hated to loose all those fish but to be honest the system just wasn't doing what we'd hoped it would. We'll not delve into aquaponics again for at least a few years as I'd rather put that effort into our raised beds, chickens (did I tell you about the super cute blue laced red Wyandotte rooster that was given to us?), the upcoming quail run and our (hopefully) bunny run. I've got a good friend that has an amazing garden set up and he's been helping us with the composting and proper planting depths and all the little nit-noid issues that come with growing food. So far he's on 15 months that he's not bought veggies from a store since his garden started producing so I'm putting a lot of stock in his advice.

We'll keep you all posted and good luck with your season!

Richnsteph
I have said this before but I like to grow plants in dirt. When we get low on rainfall I use my fish ponds for irrigation. The fish water works well. Good luck in your gardening season.

Back
Top Bottom