Aquaponics

Pics
I'm trying to come up with a plan to do aquaponics using a duck pool instead of one for fish. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the system balance without adding things that would interfere with the ducks' health?
Duckaponics! I actually have one duck in my AP set up right now and zero fish. Well... we had some minnows for a while but the duck ate them. That one duck sitting in 700 gallons of water is feeding two 4'x12' grow beds that are 8" deep in media. It took weeks of running the system to get the water to start to clear up and just this last week I've seen a difference in clarity. The ammonia, PH, nitrite and nitrate levels are all perfect. Heck they are better than my aquarium in the house..... This past Sunday I planted probably 50 more plants (seeds) in the system to increase our harvestable yield and the amount of filtration we have. So far the seeds are coming up much much better than any of the ones I tried to start in a little seed-starter container.

You will probably need additional filters to help with solids like a swirl filter or bio ball filter, maybe both or several of each?
A swirl filter is a must have on any well established system. I've got to get a pair of them built on mine soon.

You might have revolutionize the duck pool.
I had friends who raised ducks for eggs and finally gave it up because of the mess.

I has to be healthier for the duck too.

Now, if you could get a fish rearing bed started to feed the duck...

there is always a next project isn't there? You will never get any rest.
th.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goodeggs

You might have revolutionize the duck pool.
I had friends who raised ducks for eggs and finally gave it up because of the mess.

I has to be healthier for the duck too.

Now, if you could get a fish rearing bed started to feed the duck...

there is always a next project isn't there? You will never get any rest.
th.gif

Rest; what's that?
tongue.png
I actually want the beds to feed the ducks first. I want to minimize the feed they and the chicken get so, I plan on growing fodder and leafy greens, down at ground level, for both. I have grow frames for that right now. It's just a matter of making grow beds match the frames, to use them there instead. I've read the chicken could choose to go for a swim too - that will be interesting. Anyway, I was hoping they would help to feed themselves. Later, I could put a greenhouse around it, if it works well enough to justify the cost.

Just for an idea on how you might set yours up. In the middle there is the duck pond. It's not nearly that green right now.
I might copy this. One pool for the koi and another for the dog.
You lined the beds with poly? They are 2x4's in top of? plywood? The plastic boards would last longer I suppose but $$$ yeesh.
and what type of pump are you using?
I need to go back through the posts and take notes. You probably said in the gardening thread.

Hey, that is a good design. I was envisioning something similar.

I jumped back on here to share a video I found. What do you think of this filter? Would it do the trick ya think?
0.jpg

I might copy this. One pool for the koi and another for the dog.
You lined the beds with poly? They are 2x4's in top of? plywood? The plastic boards would last longer I suppose but $$$ yeesh.
and what type of pump are you using?
I need to go back through the posts and take notes. You probably said in the gardening thread.

2x10's on top of 3/4" plywood. I should have gone with something a little more durable but didn't want to drop a bunch of money into something that may not work. Had I known then what I know now.....I used 14 mil pond liner for the inside. The pump I have is a little (unknown brand) 6 gal/minute rig. I'd have gone with something larger but I was given two of them and honestly I just can't beat the price. I'll end up using the second one on our next grow bed which will go in between the current ones and be 24'x4', basically twice the size of the current two.

We have a barn full of things,you know, the bits and pieces that will good for something someday,
This has given me something to chew on.
We have some heavy duty pond liner, and some above ground vinyl pool scraps,
The lava rock probably keeps it lighter than just using water and floating the plants.
and acts as a bio filter... humm.

That noise you hear are my mental gears grinding.

Hey, that is a good design. I was envisioning something similar.

I jumped back on here to share a video I found. What do you think of this filter? Would it do the trick ya think?

I've looked a similar designs several times. I'll be building something like that but my feed water will come in over the top and drop down to the bottom, fewer connections to leak. I've got a couple of Home Depot 5 gallon buckets waiting to be used for the purpose. If it ever stops raining out here I'll get them mounted, plumbed and installed. I'll be sure to add a picture of them once it's all done.

We have a barn full of things,you know, the bits and pieces that will good for something someday,
This has given me something to chew on.
We have some heavy duty pond liner, and some above ground vinyl pool scraps,
The lava rock probably keeps it lighter than just using water and floating the plants.
and acts as a bio filter... humm.

That noise you hear are my mental gears grinding.

I went with the lava rock for two reasons.

1) The cost of the hydrotons (clay balls) and the heat-expanded shale was way too much for my budget considering I needed two+ yards of media.
2) All the extra holes in the lava rock vs the others means more places for roots to grab and hold as well as more places for O2 to get in there when the beds drain off every hour.

Oh and the weight savings was an added bonus as well.

Back
Top Bottom