Araucana laying brown eggs???

Thats just what my hen looks like. I was told she was Americana that would lay green eggs. She is six months now and I have not caught her sitting on a nest. I'm getting this big med brown egg that has a pinkish tinge to it but I don't know whose laying it.

Agreed; a pic is worth a thousand words so I posted a pic of a true Araucana. You can see it has no tail and has the tufts and beard that all true Araucanas possess.
Rumpless-Tufted-Araucana-Colin-Booth_0625.jpg

https://2wd7klqcij62uoxix4puv546-wp...ucana-Colin-Booth_0625.jpg?w=355&h=461&crop=1
That is not a true Araucana here in the US. That would be allowable in Europe such as Germany but not here.
This is a photo of a True Araucana per the Standard of Perfection here in the US. They do not have beards or muffs ( fluffy faces)

Lanae

I am searching for a true/purebred Araucana. I thought I finally found some but at the end of the back and forth messages he said they would lay blue, green or pink eggs. I replied that I didn't want Easter Eggers but pure Araucanas. He sent a long explanation that they weren't EE and Araucanas can lay all three colours. Is he misinformed or am I missing something?

"Eggs other than blue" are a disqualification for showing SOP Aracauna.

A picture should show if they're true bred birds or not, that rumpless, tufted silhouette is hard to miss. But, if by some chance the seller had birds that fit all the other criteria (including recognized colors), but they lay eggs other than blue, they're not quality stock. I can't imagine a breeder would breed for the other characteristics but not the blue eggs. If they're laying other colors, I'm thinking they're also missing other key characteristics. I'd keep looking. I know there are some folks here who are working on nice breeder flocks, you might look around and see what you can find.

Have you seen the SOP?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...a.net/&usg=AFQjCNEmQSjlGW-naO1K80xTDgPMBzso8w

That's a Easter Egger, too. Araucana do not have the fluffy cheeks. Ameraucana do have tails and fluffy cheeks, but they only come in a handful of colors and do not have greenish/yellow legs/feet.

That's a Easter Egger, too. Araucana do not have the fluffy cheeks. Ameraucana do have tails and fluffy cheeks, but they only come in a handful of colors and do not have greenish/yellow legs/feet.
Watch out!
Araucanas can yes have green and many other feet colors. Here you can see all the colors of Araucanas’ feet http://mapuachawal.blogspot.com.br/2013/07/patas-verde.html

It is already difficult to some people distinguish among Araucanas, Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers. (I think Americanas are the same as Ameraucanas, please correct me).

What if I told you that Araucanas is a difficult group to understand by itself.

The term Araucanas was introduced when a Spanish professor from the Spanish Royal School of Poultry called Salvador Castelló who took to the first world poultry fair in Paris the mixture of two different native Chilean hens: The Kollonka hen, (Rumpless Araucana), and the Ketro (having tail and above of all it has “ear tufts)” and called these Araucanas.

Moreover, the Kollonko hen always lays blue eggs, the Ketro hen frequently lays blue eggs.

So, when we say Araucana, this is a group that includes the Kollonca, the Ketro and the mixture in any proportion among both.

Araucana, according to the breed standard approved and accepted by the American Poultry Association, have yellow skin. They must be rumpless and tufted to meet the breed standard. I am not referring to the landrace types in South America, but the recognized breed in the U.S.
The Ameraucana has muffs (different from tufts), tails, and only have white skin with a 'blue' wash on the legs.
Americana, Americauna, and other misspellings are the result of hatcheries trying to dupe uneducated buyers into thinking they are getting a rare breed. They are, in reality, Easter Eggers.
In the U.S., the Araucana breed and the Ameraucana breed were derived from the birds most consider Easter Eggers.
When these birds were first imported into the U.S., they were all called Araucana and nicknamed 'Easter Eggers.' A group of breeders began breeding for a specific set of traits and got those birds recognized and accepted as the Araucana breed. The birds that didn't meet the breed standard for the recognized Araucana, became known as Ameraucana.
Another group of breeders began breeding their birds towards a common set of standards and their birds were recognized as the Ameraucana breed we have today. The hatcheries never bothered to update their breeding practices or their marketing to reflect this change. They continued to sell their birds as Ameraucana, even though they do not conform to the breed's standard.
When you buy hatchery Ameraucana in the U.S., you are buying the unrefined descendants of the originally imported birds.

So, when we say Araucana, this is a group that includes the Kollonca, the Ketro and the mixture in any proportion among both.
When I say Araucana, I'm referring to the recognized breed in the U.S. I am not referencing the obscure landrace breeds of South America.

Back
Top Bottom