Araucanas, HOW DO I SEX THEM???? WOW!!! PIC HEAVY!

emrldgrn1

Songster
12 Years
Sep 11, 2009
Vass, NC
I have about 15 Araucana chicks between five and six months old. A couple of them i can tell for sure they are hens because they have teeny tiny little combs that you have to look hard to see and no wattles whatso ever. HOWEVER, MOST of them look exactly alike with small combs and little to no wattle at all. The only thing i can tell for sure is that some i suspect to be roos have slim long feathers that lay over the regular feathers on the rumpless behinds. I have one adult Araucana roo that has these feathers so im wondering is this indicative of roos? Nobody is crowing and no one is laying so im at a loss.
idunno.gif

40980_splash.jpg

40980_rump_feathers.jpg

40980_tuffted_black_n_hope.jpg

40980_red_barred.jpg

40980_hen1.jpg

40980_group_2.jpg

40980_group.jpg

40980_duo.jpg

40980_difference_in_tail_feathering.jpg

40980_blue_tuffted.jpg

40980_blue_splash_hen.jpg

40980_blue_barred_n_red.jpg

40980_black_splash_blue_splash.jpg

40980_black_roo.jpg

40980_black_n_blue_splash.jpg

40980_black_hen.jpg

40980_black_2.jpg

40980_black1.jpg

40980_black.jpg

40980_splash_roo_2.jpg
adult Roo

Last edited:
Quote:
The thin sickle feathers do indicate roosters

So, If they have the sickle feathers, they are definatly roos?

you have a lot of roos. pic 1,2 4, 6(2 roos) 8 roos, and # 9 black is hen multi colored is roo #12 roo #13 roos and pullet to the right, #14 and up all roos.

#3, 5 pullets 10, & 1 pullets I think,

pic 10 is bilaterally tufted and looks like the best to me
smile.png

Last edited:
i have three bilaterally tufted. One i think roo, which is the red and blue, one blue girl and one black girl whom her tufts are very short but definatly there.

Uhg, so many roos! what to do with them and which to keep?

I would do 1 or 2 pens a BBS pen and then if you like the multi colored look then a pen of just them.

I eat all of my extra araucanas for some reason I think they are the tastiest small but so good. You still have time if they are not crowing yet
smile.png

Quote:
I have never raised Araucanas, so please excuse my ignorance. I though all Araucanas were tufted? As well as rumpless? So I was wondering if these gorgeous birds are mixes, or do the tufts not develop until later in maturing?

NOT being snarky, I really don't know and would love to learn.

Quote:
I have never raised Araucanas, so please excuse my ignorance. I though all Araucanas were tufted? As well as rumpless? So I was wondering if these gorgeous birds are mixes, or do the tufts not develop until later in maturing?

NOT being snarky, I really don't know and would love to learn.

not all are born rumpless and many are not bilaterialy tufted, some are single and some are cleaned face. even breeding 2 double tufted & rumpless birds together will produce clean faced, single, and double tufted and you still may get some with partial or whole tail feathers. They are still considered Araucanas though. Now the colloring on some may put them into the EE catergory because it is not recognized but I am not possitive on that.

Back
Top Bottom