Are all Roosters mean??

My EE rooster isn't mean. He is an aggressive mater though. Thinking of getting rid of him for that reason. He also crows loudly non stop throughout the day.

After three aggressive RIR roos, I've switched to Ameraucana and just love him!! He is the one in my avatar. He takes care of his hens, but doesn't charge me or sneak up on me from behind like all three of the RIRs did.

In fact, each of the Ameraucanas that I have or have had are the sweetest birds. Beautiful and sweet.

Why put up with a human-aggressive rooster when you can have one like my Isaac, who does his duty to the max, and is completely easygoing and friendly?

Check out the video in this post for proof of what a rooster can be like:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/384349/sdwd/14610#post_8894682

Another video from photobucket: http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/Mtnviewpoultry/Video Clips/?action=view&current=DSCN5537.mp4

The blue Orpington in my avatar is just as good as Isaac. I've also had awesome Barred Rock roosters as well. No, all roosters are not mean. And if they are, don't breed from them, either. Cull the human-aggressive ones, breed from the even-tempered ones.

I've had an aggressive black Ameraucana, an aggressive Delaware, an aggressive Barred Rock, etc. so you can see, it's not all about breed, either!

Last edited:
We have a maran rooster. He got a lot of attention as a juvie ( 3-4 mths) due to being the only chicken left over from his hatch ( all boys from my bought eggs, so sad) and he thinks he is a dog that lives in the house. Tries to sit on my lap and goes nuts trying to get in and watch tv if its on in the day. gets along with the other roosters fine too. But MAN he is loud. You can hear speedy announce anything all the way down the street, and we are surrounded by trees.....

Our silkie rooster is quieter, but the showgirl rooster is also an earsplitter.

All of my Buff Orp roo's were mean. I have 4 Roo's now and only one is nasty. He will be going to freezer soon. (Spitzhauben) My Jersey, EE and Fav. roos are very managable.

It's funny to read this because from my experience with buff opringtons they seems very peaceful and calm birds. I have three orp roosters and they are all gentle. I can hold two of them anytime with only one who will shy and run away if I try to pick him up. They will keep a close eye on me around the hens but that's it. It's funny I can 'act' like a chicken and run my hand through the dirt in the barn floor scratching at it and the three roo's will run over thinking I have something they don't That's the only time they act mad, LOL

All birds are created different!

It's funny to read this because from my experience with buff opringtons they seems very peaceful and calm birds. I have three orp roosters and they are all gentle. I can hold two of them anytime with only one who will shy and run away if I try to pick him up. They will keep a close eye on me around the hens but that's it. It's funny I can 'act' like a chicken and run my hand through the dirt in the barn floor scratching at it and the three roo's will run over thinking I have something they don't That's the only time they act mad, LOL

All birds are created different!

I know this thread is old but it came up when I googled "are all roosters mean?" I have a Buff Orpington Roo and I got him because I had read where people said to get that breed because they are gentle. Well, mine is mean! He has gotten me and I have pretty much asserted myself when he does and he does not back down. He has gotten the dogs too. My hens look terrible and he crows a lot. He watches over his flock nicely and shows them food that he won't eat and lets them eat but I can't put up with him. This is my first rooster with my first flock. He is going to be soup as soon as I figure out how to do it. I don't know if I will risk getting another rooster or not.

Most roosters start showing agression about about three months. But if you hold them, hand feed them and stroke them until their eyes close (wether they try to bite you in the process or not) they will learn to be friendly. If your mean to them, they view you as a challenger. My rooster, Mars, a buff black tailed japanese is a sweet heart. He has
never biten anybody let alone spur anybody. Infact, i have one rooster that tends to get out of line with me. When Mars sees his do this, he attacks him and chases him away from me! I have never seen a rooster do this before. The best thing you can do is be nice to them and hold them and stroke them in a spot they love. (behind the comb or on the face-- under the eyes.)

Last edited:
I've had three Roos and all of them we're mean but I think I just have bad luck my first one wich I still have now was a Maran and was so mean. It chased my cousin all over and then my 2nd one was a Americana and wasn't as mean as the first one but was still mean and then my third one wich were getting rid of was a buff orphington and he is really mean. In all I think if a coyote tried to get one of my hens I think the coyote would be dead.

Back
Top Bottom