Are Chickens Allowed in Indianapolis?

This is great! im really want a chicken and my mom thinks they are illegal in Marion county so here is another reason for me to get one yippeeeee!
thumbsup.gif

Hello I live in Indianapolis and I need one female chicken but don't know where to buy one...I seen you have some ..are you a seller ..I just want one tho...I have a rooster now...not sure if I should go with a chick or full grown...any age might be ok cept real old one wouldn't want...thanks if I hear from you or if you know where I can buy chickens at in indy apprieate that info too..thanks Deb

I have a hen that is 1 month old. Are you interested? She is a Rhode Island Red.

Last edited:
This is just an update for all those newbies out there like me. Indianapolis did vote and accept a new ordinance sometime last year limiting the number of chickens a resident could have. The limit is 12 chickens total. The ordinance allows for one of those to be a rooster, but mandates that the roo is to be confined between dusk and dawn to not allow for crowing at night.

This is just an update for all those newbies out there like me. Indianapolis did vote and accept a new ordinance sometime last year limiting the number of chickens a resident could have. The limit is 12 chickens total. The ordinance allows for one of those to be a rooster, but mandates that the roo is to be confined between dusk and dawn to not allow for crowing at night.

You can confine him, but that doesn't mean he won't crow. :) That's awesome, though, that they'll allow a rooster.

YES!!! Indianapolis is very friendly to chickens! Lots of my neighbors have chickens and I live in between downtown and broad ripple. I currently have 4 hens and one roo. Like others said there is a noise ordinance so (and esp if your neighbors are anti-roo) you need to make sure he doesn't crow before dawn by keeping him in coop or roo collar! Many around have flocks -- there is even a coop/flock bicycle tour every fall and couple stores devoted to chickens~ https://www.facebook.com/Agrarian-698201780196828/

I am with in the city limits, just north of Southport road, off Gray road.....how many chickens could I keep....hoping for 4-12 to start?

Back
Top Bottom