Are grass clippings bad for your chickens?

eggoland

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Western Colorado
I don't use weed & feed on the back yard & had given my hens some grass clippings. I was told that the residue from gas & oil in the lawnmower could be harmful. With mowing season just around the corner I want to know if it is safe or not. I know no better peeps to ask than BYC. I have learned so much in the last year!

Chickens LOVE grass clippings!! On a hot summer day, if you've mowed the lawn, you can put out a large bowl filled with icy water and grass clippings. They will love the grass and the cool water will help to bring down their body temps. But yes, yes, yes to grass clippings. My hens go crazy when I mow the lawn. We have a riding mower and I mulch. They love eating the fresh clipped grass in our lawn.

Kelly
✿​
Our Country Chronicles
✿​

I thought I read some where to be sure they have plenty of grit if they are going to get grass clippings? Is that right?

People have had problems with grass clippings leading to crop impaction. The length of the clipped grass is too long, and will get balled up with other clippings and not pass freely through the crop.

When they graze on vegetation and grass, they pull smaller pieces off the plants. These smaller (and variable sized) pieces are more manageable.

I don't have chickens (yet) but have been reading this forum for a few years now. I would not give grass clippings to my chickens, but would instead put them in the compost pile. You've got chickens... don't you have a garden too? :)

Our girls get a mower bag full of grass clipping every time the lawn is mowed. We just dump it out in the run in a pile. They like to play queen of the grass mountain and munch away on as much as they would like, then spread the rest around searching for bugs. Excellent entertainment and we have been doing it for years without any crop impaction. Have fun!

Dont suppose you spill gas and oil on your grass?! Unless you do, you can treat it like the sky is falling theory.

I mow only every other week, because the chickens don't have the patience for me making clippings and help themselves to the grass.

When I do mow, the buffet is open.

And no chemical fertilizers. Chickens contribute nicely in that regard.

I add water to grass clippings and keep it in plastic torte to prevent chicken from scratching and to keep it last longer (5-7 days).

Back
Top Bottom