Are gucklings possible?

Amanda39

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
White Lake, Michigan
Today I met another Michigan BYC member here in Michigan and it was so nice!!!! I met Leah and she gave me 10 duck eggs to hatch! So, you all know I have 2 female geese, so I was considering keeping one of the male ducks. I thought, oh, they will make little gucklings! But I tried to find info on cross breeds and basically read that the chromosomes between goose and duck won't combine well and thus, there are no such birds of a goose/duck mix. Then I found a site that had a picture of several. They are Egyptian goose/mallard crosses. I thought, that can't be possible because everything I have read says it won't work. So then my question was, is an Egyptian goose really a goose, or is it a duck? I know a lot of people think Muscovy are geese, but are in fact ducks. If the Egyptian is truly a goose, then why would it be able to breed mixes, but no other goose/duck mixes hatched? Here is the site, let me know your feedback. http://www.gobirding.eu/Photos/HybridDucks.php

I say both websites are correct. Ducks and geese can probably mate and reproduce. But these offspring are probably sterile or have other issues. I recommend getting female ducks, too. That way, the drakes would mate with the ducks and not the geese. Also, since geese are a lot bigger, I'm not sure if they would allow a sexually-active drake to mate with them.

My Muscovy hatched out and Embden gander 8 yrs ago and because i had no other geese he bonded with his mama the duck and the other female Muscovy I have here. well once he reached sex maturity he of course mated with them all. No off spring ever came from it. So for my Muscovy ducks and Embden gander I have to say yes they can mate but no they cannot produce off spring.

My Muscovy hatched out and Embden gander 8 yrs ago and because i had no other geese he bonded with his mama the duck and the other female Muscovy I have here. well once he reached sex maturity he of course mated with them all. No off spring ever came from it. So for my Muscovy ducks and Embden gander I have to say yes they can mate but no they cannot produce off spring.
It's probably true that all other ducks and geese can mate and reproduce. Muscovies cannot mate with any other species and produce offspring. (personally, my friend doesn't think they should be considered ducks because of that)

Last edited:
It's probably true that all other ducks and geese can mate and reproduce. Muscovies cannot mate with any other species and produce offspring. (personally, my friend doesn't think they should be considered ducks because of that)
I have never heard of anyone having off spring from a goose and a duck I want proof
smile.png
and Muscovy's really are ducks.

I get what you mean. I know Muscovy is a duck (my friend has some odd thoughts
smile.png
), but they just can't reproduce with other breeds of duck.
They can have ducklings but those will be sterile. Mules if Muscovy drake mates with Domestic duck and Moulards if Domestic duck mates with Muscovy female I may have it back wards I'll go look. lol

http://www.cooksinfo.com/mule-duck

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken Egyptian Geese are closer to Shelducks than actual geese.

Back
Top Bottom