Are my chicks EE's or Ameracaunas?

Abbie0914

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
Are my chicks EE's or Ameracaunas? They were sold to me as Ameracaunas by a person my cousin bought her Orpingtons from. .

Won't know for sure till they mature and lay. If they have beards, muffs, and dark blue/green legs and lay ONLY blue/green eggs then you have Americaunas. Though they may or may not fall into an APA accepted color. If they lack any one of these features, you have easter eggers. Such as no muffs, yellow legs, or lay pink, brown, tan eggs.

Won't know for sure till they mature and lay. If they have beards, muffs, and dark blue/green legs and lay ONLY blue/green eggs then you have Americaunas. Though they may or may not fall into an APA accepted color. If they lack any one of these features, you have easter eggers. Such as no muffs, yellow legs, or lay pink, brown, tan eggs.
That is not true. To correct a little of what you said, true Ameraucanas have SLATE legs, not blue or green. They lay only BLUE eggs, never green.

I see no Ameraucana chicks in the photo. I see some EE chicks. An exception might be the yellow chick, which should turn out white, but there are white EEs so can't say 100% on that one.

Accepted colors are blue, black, blue wheaten, brown red, buff, silver, wheaten and white. That's it. They are working on getting the lavender color accepted now so most call those Ameraucanas even now, though technically, they are not quite yet.

Here is blue, black and splash from my breeders I had (still have the last two though they are over 8 years old now). Splash is a product of breeding blue to blue but they are not in the color standard. Those are slate legs, the only color legs they should have as an Ameraucana.

Last edited:
It is most likely that they are Easter Eggers -- can you take photos that show each bird from the side so that we can see the entire bird, including legs?

You don't have to wait until they lay for any of the characteristics except egg color -- so you can know well before production.

If they have all the americauna traits, then start laying pink eggs. Then they are easter eggers though. But your right, at $3.50 a chick they are most likely easter eggers.

Back
Top Bottom