Are my poults sex linked?

Capricoco

Songster
Mar 17, 2022
My turkey hens hatched out some poults, and I got curious as to what color they might be so I ran stuff through porters and they were sexlinks (bourbon red hen x royal palm Tom = red bronze males and golden Narragansett females according to the calculator) I assumed that they’d look identical as chicks and moved on but as more and more hatched out I noticed there where 2 different kinds of brown chicks, ones with a regular brown pattern and some with less dark brown. So I went back to porters to consult the color tabs and after looking at the varieties I’d get from the pairing, it looks like the regular brown ones are the red bronzes and the ones with less dark brown are the golden Narragansett’s? Just checking but that means they’re sexlinked right?
2FD2F5DA-2256-4B27-9A29-E7FAB758D793.png
1FEF17C2-7253-48E9-959A-2F526B1C6202.png
ED83DAAE-B429-4D23-84F5-20C99A7DF162.png
27ABF2CC-A08B-4225-9716-26E0FD159C75.jpeg
C03004C5-2754-41FD-95F8-0BCA0978ABAE.jpeg

The Narragansett gene is linked to the male gene. Males need two copies of the Narragansett gene for the color trait to be displayed.

Hens can only have one copy of the Narragansett gene and that is all it takes for the color trait to be displayed in hens.

This generation of your poults is sex linked. Breeding them to each other will not produce sex links.

The Narragansett gene is linked to the male gene. Males need two copies of the Narragansett gene for the color trait to be displayed.

Hens can only have one copy of the Narragansett gene and that is all it takes for the color trait to be displayed in hens.

This generation of your poults is sex linked. Breeding them to each other will not produce sex links.
So the ones with less dark brown are hens, yes? I figured breeding them together wouldn’t result in sex links.

So the ones with less dark brown are hens, yes? I figured breeding them together wouldn’t result in sex links.
In general, the less color a poult expresses, the more modifying alleles are at work.
The Narragansett-alleles (if homozygous/hemizygous) reduce pigmentation. This means, that if you compare two poults, one with and the other one without the expression of the Narragansett-phenotype, you will recognize the reduction of pigmentation in the Narragansett one.
The red-allele also reduces the pigmentation in a recognizable way.
Your first poult (with very little dark pattern) is very likely a Golden Narragansett.
The second poult (with the dark pattern) doesn't look like a typical Red Bronze, to be fully honest, but this could be due to the picture quality. Red Bronze shows usually more of a reddish-tint.
Do you have any other turkeys except your Royal Palm and Bourbon Red? Just to make sure that nothing else could have been involved.

In general, the less color a poult expresses, the more modifying alleles are at work.
The Narragansett-alleles (if homozygous/hemizygous) reduce pigmentation. This means, that if you compare two poults, one with and the other one without the expression of the Narragansett-phenotype, you will recognize the reduction of pigmentation in the Narragansett one.
The red-allele also reduces the pigmentation in a recognizable way.
Your first poult (with very little dark pattern) is very likely a Golden Narragansett.
The second poult (with the dark pattern) doesn't look like a typical Red Bronze, to be fully honest, but this could be due to the picture quality. Red Bronze shows usually more of a reddish-tint.
Do you have any other turkeys except your Royal Palm and Bourbon Red? Just to make sure that nothing else could have been involved.
We have a royal palm, slate, and lavender tom. We also have a black, chocolate, bronze, and a Narragansett hen. I’m fairly confident none of the poults are from the slate or lavender tom, the bronze hen has her own nest she’s setting on far away, and the chocolate, black, and Narragansett hen have nests close by. It may be possible for a couple of eggs/chicks to have ended up in the wrong nest because they all started sitting at around the same time. But even then, the less dark brown ones would still have to be golden Narragansetts, because all the other possibilities from all they other hens (even the bronze, slate, and lavender) wouldn’t look like that? So I guess that means (most likely) all the less dark brown ones are hens, and a few of the regular ones are hens?

We have a royal palm, slate, and lavender tom. We also have a black, chocolate, bronze, and a Narragansett hen. I’m fairly confident none of the poults are from the slate or lavender tom, the bronze hen has her own nest she’s setting on far away, and the chocolate, black, and Narragansett hen have nests close by. It may be possible for a couple of eggs/chicks to have ended up in the wrong nest because they all started sitting at around the same time. But even then, the less dark brown ones would still have to be golden Narragansetts, because all the other possibilities from all they other hens (even the bronze, slate, and lavender) wouldn’t look like that? So I guess that means (most likely) all the less dark brown ones are hens, and a few of the regular ones are hens?
Colorwise the dark poult appears to be a Narragansett. Possibly offspring from the Narragansett female and the Royal Palm male. Could be both, male or female, as both parents carry Narragansett-alleles.
The light poult on the other hand seems to be a Golden Narragansett (from the Royal Palm and Bourbon Red). Do you have pictures of the other poults?

Colorwise the dark poult appears to be a Narragansett. Possibly offspring from the Narragansett female and the Royal Palm male. Could be both, male or female, as both parents carry Narragansett-alleles.
The light poult on the other hand seems to be a Golden Narragansett (from the Royal Palm and Bourbon Red). Do you have pictures of the other poults?
59DF19AE-E3C2-4CFC-A80B-6DDF799A81CE.jpeg
815D3C44-288D-402E-9BD0-543A9E8DC20D.jpeg

So this is a 4(ish) week old less dark brown (top) vs a 4(ish) week old more dark brown (bottom) so I’m assuming I won’t really be able to tell apart the regular Narragansett’s from the red bronzes until about this point?

View attachment 3213918View attachment 3213919
So this is a 4(ish) week old less dark brown (top) vs a 4(ish) week old more dark brown (bottom) so I’m assuming I won’t really be able to tell apart the regular Narragansett’s from the red bronzes until about this point?

The top poult is too reddish to be a Golden Narragansett. Must be a Red Bronze.
Bottom poult does really have very little red, but this could be due to the b' and cg gene.
Doesn't look like the typical Golden Narragansett I got.

Here some pictures for comparison (Red Bronze & Golden Narragansett):

Attachments

• 123389420_10219358223655294_6220721079932611991_n.jpg
    123389420_10219358223655294_6220721079932611991_n.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 123554765_10219358226695370_4317898916089155463_n.jpg
    123554765_10219358226695370_4317898916089155463_n.jpg
    754.3 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom