Are the nipple watering systems worth it?

Quote:
im def gonna give it a try
thumbsup.gif

Yes! The nipples are fantastic. I was watering my chickens at least once a day, b/c they were spilling and wasting so much water, and always found a way to get poop in it. YUK. My husband made a watering system out of pvc pipes and a section of garden hose. It holds several quarts of water and it lasts at least a week if not more. The chickens are very curious, and peck at anything new. They pecked at the nipples and water came out. That's all it took to train them. He ordered his nipples off of ebay. I think he used an online tutorial for the basic concept of the watering system.

Yes, keeps the water clean, and less waste.
I have both traditional & nipple waters, and the chickens use both.

One question, can cider vinegar be added to the water using a nipple waterer ? I have read that cider vinegar should not be used in metal waterers, and
the nipples do have metal in them ??

How do people wash those big bucket systems that are hooked up to the pvc pipes with the water nipple? Or isn't it as big a concern since it has a lid and it stays clean?? Thanks!

yeah.... also very curious about winter freezing. I looked at one of the heated bucket, nipple systems, but would rather do a pvc pipe system (could get much fancier and run inside and out with a bigger reservoir), but I don't know how it would work in PA winters. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Also check out the nipple water cups. That is my preference so they can see the water and drink naturally. It is personal preference for which is better. They both work great with chickens and are much easier on you than standard waterers.

62744_cups.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I to would love more info and pictures. Daughter has too many chickens and dad keep building her more pens to keep all her chickens happy which of course means more water bowls.

Hubby is very handy and he will build whatever I ask, within reason. The idea of pvc pipe seems good, we have many large pens for her chickens. Winters would also be a concern.

Our oldest was into horses and hubby built a warm water tank sytem that ran through pvc pipes to fill the automatic water bowls for our horses I am sure you could do the same idea for pvc pipe and chicken nipples.

Is there any difference in nipple types? There is a web site for avain aqua miser that has nipples at 15.00 a piece, claims they don't drip, seems like too much $. I looked at the ebay listing, seems like a good price. What other sources ahs anyone used?

Back
Top Bottom