Are there any services like Hospice but that come daily?

reveriereptile

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Northern NY
My father has had multiple health problems since Christmas Eve. His defibrillator shocked his heart 12 times in one day. We found out that he has a very rare aggressive liver cancer. He had to go on a medicine to keep the unfiltered toxins from causing his defibrillator from shocking him. Well the medicine causes kidney problems. Due to his heart problems they can't do any surgeries.

For the past week he was in the hospital till yesterday he got moved to the nursing home. He was staying with my sister and she woke up one morning with him on the floor in pain and very weak. They found out he has a blood clot on the outside of his intestines and less than 10% kidney function.

The doctors are giving my dad less than a week and that was Monday. He is still around but his body is still slowly shutting down. He hasn't gotten into the complete coma state yet.

Since yesterday after he got moved to the nursing home he has upset my sister. He won't look or respond to her cause he had always wanted to die pretty much anywhere but the nursing home. She is trying to find a way to bring him home since it is breaking her heart. Hospice only comes every other day and he needs someone to come daily.

I live 14 hours away and have a almost year old or I would have flew down and helped. I did manage to fly down with my son in Feb so they could see each other for the first and last time.

Does anyone know of any services offered in IL?

I'm in Indiana so no help here, but feeling your pain and hoping you can find a solution that helps everyone. Sending hugs
hugs.gif

Since the doctors gave him a week to live and he's shutting down, can you get a doctor to refer him to actually be placed in a hospice facility where he'll be cared for until the end?

Could you find a home health care company in your area. There is a cost involved, but some insurances will help. We had live in help for my Mom. It cost less out of pocket than a nursing facility and it fulfilled her wish of dying at home. From what you are saying it will be short term .PM me if you want more info. Prayers are with you.

Thanks for the help.

I don't know how close a hospice facility is to them. Right now they are going to the nursing home.

I'll mention the home health care to my sister.

Depending on the insurance, you might check into Private Duty Nursing. This is still usually through an agency but they come out and spend several hours/day in the home helping with meds, cleaning, cooking, etc. Or an aide. PDN is different from Home Health. Home Health is usually a nurse checking in. They don't stay for long periods of time and typically only come a few times/week, though I'm sure some may come daily for more complex cases. My son has multiple medical problems (trach, GJ feeding tube, ventilator and oxygen dependent, etc) and has PDN. A nurse comes in overnights so we can get some sleep. We also get a few day hours so if he's not feeling well, I don't have to take him to run errands (though I try to bring him out as much as possible to keep things as "normal" for him as they can safely be). And then like someone said, maybe getting home health to come on the alternate days that hospice isn't there may be another option. A lot is dependent on insurance and financial circumstances, though. Out of pocket costs for nursing is very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom