Are there wild bird eggs that can be incubated for release?

raised right they can be released back into the wild if read the back post you will see I went over that fact and that it takes training lots of training.

If your interested in quail and pheasant, which are about the only ones you could release legally, the gamebird forum http://www.thatquailplace.com/discuss.htm would be the place to go. However they will most likely deter you from this idea unless your willing to put in a lot of research and alterations to your land. Game birds need the right type of land to survive and most people do not have that. Even then they have a low survival rate. Some states it can also be darn near impossible to sort out the laws and get the proper permits to release on your own land much less somewhere else. Despite sitting on 80acres of land set aside for wildlife I found the effort not worth it and am butchering all the quail I raise instead.

I read only the first 5 replies of this thread.. before I read even one reply I had mine in my head.It has not changed.

All the wild birds are from a long lineage. Man was not involve with any of it for thousands of years..

I guarantee you if man interferes there will be trouble..

all you have to do is read post after post about how people cannot bear to let eggs hatch (or not hatch) in their incubators ..
without messing with them..

survival of the fittest is what keeps the wild creatures around.

nature cannot cope with birds that were "helped" out of their shells for whatever reason..

do you know what the survival rate for a dozen hatched out turkeys in the wild is ?? lucky to get 2 to survive and I know of complete hatches to perish..

please, mess with your home flock and leave the wild ones alone..

I do wildlife rehabilitation and I am not going to have a war of words on the never ending debate. I feel that yes they did it for hundreds of years alone but man is over running them and I personally feel they now need help. This is my point of view and now I am leaving this thread alone. Different views makes the world go around

When done proper birds can be released.
Pheasant were released after they were imported into the USA.
Falcon were hatched and released, east of The Mississippi.
The Whopping crane same thing, they even use untrilight aircraft to teach them to migrate.

Federal permits for waterfowl are not hard to get , you just need to get bird or eggs from a breeder with a permit.

Sure some of these could be released like Mallards and Wood ducks.

Know with bobwhites if raise in outside flight pen with plants for cover. Auto feeders and water. breeding pairs can be released

Quote:
If not for mans help, we would not have the peregine falcon, or whopping crane,or even the bison. (man cause the number to drop) Man also the reason we still have them back

Quote:
If not for mans help, we would not have the peregine falcon, or whopping crane,or even the bison. (man cause the number to drop) Man also the reason we still have them back

yeah, and let us not forget the passenger pigeon..

Quote:

yeah, and let us not forget the passenger pigeon..

^ I would have loved to have been around to see them....

Quote:
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Also needs mentioning of the unique subspecies that have adapted to certain regions being bred out of existence due to releasing of farm-reared stock for hunting purposes. This has caused massive declines to pure Phasianus colchicus races in their native Asia. Same could happen (if hasn't already) here in the US with Bobwhite. Farm reared Phasianus colchicus has also caused massive decline in Phasianus versicolor endemic to Japan. Many of the commercial breeders/producers could care less... as long as they get paid.

Then we can go on to the Black Duck/Mallard mess in the US (farm-reared mallards around the world for the matter, the list of species they have harmed is quite long), the Ruddy Duck/White-headed Duck in Europe...

Unless you are working with biologists and have the complete understanding of the ecosystem, best to leave the intentional introductions/re-introductions alone.

Dan

I would suggest that you offer to volunteer with a bird rehabber in your city. You could even go as far to put up a pre-release cage on your property for birds to be released on your land.

This would help out the rehabber and would also be putting back birds that were already in your area. So you woudlnt be introducing anything. They get plenty of ducks, geese, songbirds etc that there is no point in purchasing them. Just help out the ones who already need help!

Back
Top Bottom