Are these blood rings?

I've had no different success rates with saddled and unsaddled air cells. I don't even worry about it anymore.
That’s awesome!! Do you keep the saddled eggs in an upright position to hatch?
I also have had no issues with saddled air cells. In my incubators, the eggs lay on their sides anyway, and not upright. They get turned the same as all the other eggs. At lockdown, I do place the saddled eggs with the air cell on top, and mark its location.

Sometimes, if they're very jiggly from shipping, I will incubate for the first few days (but no more than 7) upright, but tilted. Rotating and tilting in different directions many times a day. Then I give them to the hen or incubate normally once the embryo's veining has stabilized the interior of the egg. If they're not jiggly, straight to hen or incubator.

I think I cooked all the eggs I had incubating. No idea what happened. Had the incubator set up for days at a steady temp, ran errands on day 2 and came home to the temp being 103 (possibly for hours). Today is day 5 so I candled them, and I think they all have blood rings. No baby movement, they just moved as I moved the eggs. 😩 Can anyone confirm that’s what I’m seeing here?
What you are thinking are blood rings, are actually just quite well defined blood islands. Completely normal. I see plenty of healthy veining in these pictures

@chickfused @BarnyardChaos

Some of the air cells are really low, like this one. There’s one that’s even worse but I grabbed the wrong egg for a picture. Would you put a safety hole in at lockdown or just let it be? Tomorrow is day 18. I have 6 that made it to lock down, 5 of which have saddled air cells. I’m so excited!!!! This is my first time incubating (if that wasn’t obvious lol). 👏🏼❤️

Attachments

• 30201389-E6D4-41A0-B6DE-FB1BAD8E38EB.jpeg
    30201389-E6D4-41A0-B6DE-FB1BAD8E38EB.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 12
@chickfused @BarnyardChaos

Some of the air cells are really low, like this one. There’s one that’s even worse but I grabbed the wrong egg for a picture. Would you put a safety hole in at lockdown or just let it be? Tomorrow is day 18. I have 6 that made it to lock down, 5 of which have saddled air cells. I’m so excited!!!! This is my first time incubating (if that wasn’t obvious lol). 👏🏼❤️
No! No safety hole! It's way too soon. Don't attempt a safety hole until after Day 21.

Every one of us has had a "first time incubating" at some time, right? The hardest thing about it is to be patient and resist the urge to 'help' them. Consider this: Helping too soon will almost certainly result in death. Helping late can sometimes be too late, but they might hatch on their own anyway. So... your best chances are to wait.

Read this article, and then read it again before you do anything to help the hatch:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

It IS exciting, isn't it? We've hatched several batches over the past few years, and it never gets boring. We're like kids at Christmas, watching for Santa to arrive, every single time. Good luck with your babies!
💖 :jumpy:fl

No! No safety hole! It's way too soon. Don't attempt a safety hole until after Day 21.

Every one of us has had a "first time incubating" at some time, right? The hardest thing about it is to be patient and resist the urge to 'help' them. Consider this: Helping too soon will almost certainly result in death. Helping late can sometimes be too late, but they might hatch on their own anyway. So... your best chances are to wait.

Read this article, and then read it again before you do anything to help the hatch:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

It IS exciting, isn't it? We've hatched several batches over the past few years, and it never gets boring. We're like kids at Christmas, watching for Santa to arrive, every single time. Good luck with your babies!
💖 :jumpy:fl
Thank you!! I did read that article, but missed mention of saddled air cells if that was in there. I didn’t know if it was different for saddled or not. I won’t mess with anything!

Yes, I seriously cannot wait!! I told my family I’m not leaving my house for the next 4-5 days if I can help it 😂

Ok, now is this actually a blood ring? End of day 17, looks like it just stopped developing within the last day or two. No movement inside at all.

Attachments

• 6FDCB336-8526-4C97-B922-C4CE32A9DEA9.jpeg
    6FDCB336-8526-4C97-B922-C4CE32A9DEA9.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 5F7A502E-6F00-4471-8AE7-279162E965F9.jpeg
    5F7A502E-6F00-4471-8AE7-279162E965F9.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom