Are these blood rings?

The chick that’s struggling just pooped and it’s mostly green. What does that mean?

Attachments

• 3C305878-6D04-4D47-851D-FCC143EA4FF6.jpeg
    3C305878-6D04-4D47-851D-FCC143EA4FF6.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 5
I’m sorry 😂 I told you I’d be posting annoyingly often. I put new paper towels down, gave her a bit more to drink/eat (vitamin water + yolk) and stuck her back under the heating pad to sleep. I also put some antibiotic ointment (no pain reliever) on her umbilical area or whatever that is.

The chick that’s struggling just pooped and it’s mostly green. What does that mean?
It can mean infection, but their first ever poops can be a bit off colour, so just keep an eye on it... how is the chick behaving? Alert? Trying to walk? Or pretty sleepy still?

It can mean infection, but their first ever poops can be a bit off colour, so just keep an eye on it... how is the chick behaving? Alert? Trying to walk? Or pretty sleepy still?
Shes moving around some under the heating pad occasionally, but shes mostly sleepy. The first one that hatched slept for like an entire day and is now a spitfire, so I wasn’t too worried about how sleepy she is. She worked hard to hatch and then lost some obvious fluids, so I expected her to be weak and tired?

I’ll keep an eye on her poops! She’s moving her legs/wings and head when she moves around, and she’s moving more as time goes on. Just not trying to walk or anything necessarily yet.

Chick's first poops will look like this; it is normal. If they are still pooping this color after they've started eating, that's not normal.
With that poop, do you think it’s possible she absorbed some of the yolk before she popped the sac?

Shes moving around some under the heating pad occasionally, but shes mostly sleepy. The first one that hatched slept for like an entire day and is now a spitfire, so I wasn’t too worried about how sleepy she is. She worked hard to hatch and then lost some obvious fluids, so I expected her to be weak and tired?

I’ll keep an eye on her poops! She’s moving her legs/wings and head when she moves around, and she’s moving more as time goes on. Just not trying to walk or anything necessarily yet.
If you have raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar, it's a probiotic and can help get your chicks guts working properly. Sometimes they need a little help getting healthy poops when they first start off. I add 1 TBS raw honey, and 1 TBS acv per gallon for the first day for my chicks.
Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing great!

So the little chickie that had the hard hatch looks good all things considered. Shes walking better now, the bubble by her wing is gone, she’s drinking like a champ, and her yolk sac situation is dried up and healed nicely. The only problem is she doesn’t want to eat! She’ll drink yolk off a q-tip, and she’ll peck a few bites of food, but nothing substantial at all. She just wants to sleep under the heat and drink. Should I give up? What do I do??

Back
Top Bottom