Are these eggs fertilized?

Horsern

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2023
I am brand new to incubating eggs and had 13 duck eggs in the incubator for 10 days (I wanted to be extra sure before I removed them 😂) None developed and I’m trying to figure out if they were ever fertilized. And if they were, did they get too cold before they were collected each day and maybe that’s why they didn’t develop. (I am in Ohio so morning temps as low as 30 over collection time, though none were frozen at collection and some days were warmer)
191F43EE-CDA4-4F0A-AA5F-7E951281AFE9.jpeg
These two are from the incubator. Thanks for your help!

They are fertilized, as you can see almost a bullseye, which is called a blastoderm. They may not have developed based on how long you stored them, not necessarily the temps, although if there were often drastic temp changes that could have affected it.

They are fertilized, as you can see almost a bullseye, which is called a blastoderm. They may not have developed based on how long you stored them, not necessarily the temps, although if there were often drastic temp changes that could have affected it.
Thank you! I thought I saw that but wasn’t sure since seeing other pics of much more dramatic bullseye. I stored them in a carton on my counter for 7 days and set them on the 8th day. Is that too long for ducks? The biggest temp change would have been from outside to in the house. They lay in the yard and not a coup since they roost on the pond at night. So likely about 4 hours outside before collected each day.

Thank you! I thought I saw that but wasn’t sure since seeing other pics of much more dramatic bullseye. I stored them in a carton on my counter for 7 days and set them on the 8th day. Is that too long for ducks? The biggest temp change would have been from outside to in the house. They lay in the yard and not a coup since they roost on the pond at night. So likely about 4 hours outside before collected each day.
I know that after 7 days the hatch rate starts to really go down, but I've set eggs that were more than that and they developed. In fact I have some in the incubator now. It could be the below freezing temps then. 55 degrees F is a good temp to store eggs at so maybe they froze and melted again and that could have affected it?

Back
Top Bottom