are these roos or hens

chickadde

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
86240_sam_0316.jpg

I was wondering if my chicks are possibly roos. They are 12 weeks old now.

Last edited:
But when do they start crowing? They are 12 weeks old and I already have a rooster. I'm bummed now my hen was a brooder on four eggs and only two hatched, and here they are! Thanks for your help.

The roosters I've had have usually crowed around 16-17 weeks. However when at one point I had 4 roosters from a straight run, only one of them crowed. The other three, who were lower in the pecking order, were completely silent. It is possible since you have a mature rooster who crows, that these new guys won't crow for awhile.

Oh thats sad I was really hoping to add more hens to my hen house. I will miss these roosters when they go. This means their names will change also. The white one I have been calling Daisy Mae and the other was Iris after IRS because they were hatched on tax day April 15th.

Oh, so sorry they're roosters. They sure are pretty! Don'tcha wish you could keep them all? I sure do. Having the same dilemma myself. I've got a nice Barred Olive Egger rooster, and then I've got a young Lavender Orpington roo that I hatched. He's still a cockerel (baby) now, but I really want to keep both. I know I'll have to choose between the two. My flock isn't very large, so I don't want them fighting......

Such a bummer.......

Hey now thats a great idea!!!!I only have three hens that are 2 to 3 years old and one barred rock that is 12 weeks old and hopefully she is a hen. I also have a white crested polish hen that is 12 weeks also. Maybe I should post a picture of them. Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom