are these roosters

so if they are both roosters, should I only have 1 for my flock of 7?

That would be best for the hens. You can keep more than one rooster together without them fighting, I run groups with multiple roosters all the time, but you need to have enough hens for each rooster. Seven is a little low even for just one rooster - it's best to have ten hens per rooster. So, you could get more pullets if you want to keep both, aiming to end with 20 pullets and your two cockerels, or if you can't do that, it's better to rehome one of them.

Two roosters with your hens should be fine if you take the time to learn about caring for roosters. Never use violence or other negative methods of treatment with them. They will go through a period of increased hormones and possibly be a pain in the rear like male teenagers are.. you can have a dog crate ready to separate one for time out if needed, you can also carry them around to establish you are alpha, plenty of positive ways to get them to adulthood and have a great experience. I have over 40 boys and love them all, you just have to be patient and remember they need kindness and training like any other creature.

we do have alot of preditors around so I dont mind have 1 rooster so I think if both are roosters, I will be giving one back to the breeder in exchange for another hen.
I love this site by the way, so helpful. Tons of information and knowledge sharing for the newbies like me. Thanks Ya'll

I do really love them both, they have there own little personalities. I do carry them around now and they dont seem to mind it. Both are super friendly but I talk to them and pet them and carry them around every day to make sure they stay friendly. I just hope they stay that way because I have grandkids to that like to play with them and feed them. I do have a bigger dog kennel that I can have ready if needed.

Two roosters with your hens should be fine if you take the time to learn about caring for roosters. Never use violence or other negative methods of treatment with them. They will go through a period of increased hormones and possibly be a pain in the rear like male teenagers are.. you can have a dog crate ready to separate one for time out if needed, you can also carry them around to establish you are alpha, plenty of positive ways to get them to adulthood and have a great experience. I have over 40 boys and love them all, you just have to be patient and remember they need kindness and training like any other creature.
Feel free to PM me if needed in the future. I keep around 150 birds and have no problems with my boys.

Back
Top Bottom