Are these the right breeds?

and-roo

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2013
the Willamette Valley, OR
Got 7 chicks from the feed store abut a week ago and gave them to my broody silkie hen. I got a welsummer, leghorn, speckled sussex, light brahma, two araucanas, and sultan. She stepped on one of the araucanas and broke it's neck, and the sultan just randomly died :(

What I am wondering is if the welsummer, the speckled sussex, and the araucana are actually the breeds I payed for. The bins at the feed store had multiple breeds mixed into one so it is possible that the welsummer and speckled sussex could be wrong... but the feathering of the welsummer and speckled sussex are confusing me, and for the araucanas I'm wondering if it's supposed to be rumpless and tufted like it said it was... and possibly what it will like like when all feathered out?

Here's a pic of the welsummer:

The araucana:

I couldn't get a pic of the SS but I'll try again later...

That chick could definitely be a welsummer :)

As for the araucana, chances are very high that it's not an araucana. True araucanas are rare and I don't know of any hatchery that offers them. Unless that feed store gets chicks from breeders, chances are almost 100% that what you were sold is an Easter Egger.

That first chick is a Sussex. The white/pink legs are a giveaway.

I've never heard of a feed store selling pure Aracauna. I'm thinking Easter egger. I see a beard and greenish legs, so that's probably it. If you paid less than say $5 for the chick, it's an EE.

I've never heard of a feed store selling pure Aracauna. I'm thinking Easter egger. I see a beard and greenish legs, so that's probably it. If you paid less than say $5 for the chick, it's an EE. 

I didn't think to check the leg color, good catch! I have to get better at that :)

thats what i was thinking, but the feed store I bought them from also sold easter eggers and these were definitely different as far as shape, color, size... so I took a chance. And this one was pretty so I don't really care if it's not a pure araucana, but it was labeled as "rumpless araucana" so i'm really hoping that it is at least rumpless. It was actually like, exactly $5 so i guess that doesn't really tell you much... also, I had never seen araucana at this feed store in the past four years I've gotten chicks there and it seemed as if they were supplied by a different breeder but it mightve just been because they were a newer breed? I have no idea

Are you sure the top one is a sussex? the "sussex" i have looks a little bit different, but not much. I'm really hoping it was a welsummer because i was hoping for some of those darker eggs

here's a kinda sloppy image of the wulsummer

welsummer again. She has a few white feathers that are really confusing me

the speckled sussex's wing, kinda blurry but you can sorta see the color

the Sussex is closer and the other one is the welsummer. They're not exactly the same, the Sussex is a little bit darker and smaller than the welsummer.

this is just a picture of the "araucanas" wing. I think she'll be pretty, but probably just an Easter egger. It's starting to look like she does have a tail. As the tail feathers grow in they are sticking up more than they should if she was runpless...

Back
Top Bottom