Are you a 'Farmer' or a 'Rancher'?

MicMoo

Songster
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
Tacoma, WA
One of those silly questions that comes to mind... what are you, a "Chicken Farmer" or a "Chicken Rancher"?

What (if anything) is the difference?

Hrm... another Tacoman! Woot!!! I live in S. Tacoma. There are a number of us lurking here - be sure to join us on the "Where am I? Where are you?" thread under "Washingtonians".

I'm more of a "Chicken Feeder". When swarmed by my voracious little dinosaurs, it's more like a "Chicken Tamer" (imagine holding a chair & a whip a la old time lion tamers).

neither. I'm a chicken Mommy!
big_smile.png
I am the caretaker and provider for my fids: my feathered outdoor kids (chickens and guineas), my feathered indoor kids (African Gray parrot, white eye conure parrot, diamond dove, society finches, and cockatiels), and my furred indoor kids (8 cats of various ancestry). I don't plant them, so I'm not a farmer, and I don't drive them off the market to be sold and slaughtered, so I'm not a rancher either. I have them because I love them. Period. The eggs are a bonus, and I will not kill one unless it would be a mercy euthanization in case of dire injury or disease. Many would disagree with me, but we are free on this boat to agree to disagree!
smile.png

Heck with their feeding time - I mean MINE!! Tonight we ate dinner al fresco... and al pollo. Had to keep bumping the buggers off the table.

Next time they're going in the run while we eat.

I don't think of my birds as "poultry" or "livestock" reminds me of something someone would butcher and eat. I refer to mine as feathered dogs, and you definatly would NOT eat a dog...hopefully.

We call ourselves "chicken wranglers." That started when a friend of my boyfriend's heard we were getting chicks and he dubbed us that.

We even have "wrangler uniforms." Since it's summer, we usually do our chicken chores in the morning and we're usually still in the shorts we slept in, Harley-Davidson t-shirts, and work boots. I went horseback riding at a friend's house last weekend and when her husband came out of the house dressed like that (they also have chickens), I commented "Oh, your husband has a chicken wrangler outfit too!" The meaning was lost on him, but my friend had seen my boyfriend's, so she laughed.

Anyone else have a "chicken wrangler uniform"?

I think I'm more of a "Rancher".
I had a sign custom-made for the front of my coop - It says "Pappa Ron's Chicken Ranch".

10056_chicken_shed-ranch_sign__1.jpg

So, I must be Rancher, right?
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
we must be siblings.I prefer the term poultry wrangler. My uniform i guess is a southern heritage redneck shirt, harley shirt or army shirt along with some jeans daisy dukes or sweat pants but usually barefooted or flip flops. oh and my 2year old Dd is a "ducky tsaser" none can catch a duck like her

Back
Top Bottom