Are your cats Indoor, Outdoor, or Both?

We moved far, far out on the farm 3 years ago, and had an AWFUL time getting a cat to live. We just wanted outside cats for mousing. We wanted them just a little wild, but catchable for trips to the vet. Our dogs thought that kittens were toys, and killed them. We finally had to house one until nearly grown. Then when she went outside, the dogs left her alone.

Now, it is a different story...I planned to breed her for just one litter, so I didn't get her spayed. A big friendly Tom showed up and produced kittens. Which I had to house until grown. Not a problem, 4 cats on the farm is just about right.

Unfortunately, we didn't neuter the Tom, after all, he wasn't our cat. Just before the scheduled spaying day, all the kittens and mommy turned up PG. My house is overrun with kittens and mommies. I can't put them outside until big enough to fend off the dogs, and our local shelter is so overrun with kittens right now that they requested we just keep them. I will do that, but really am not looking forward to payiing to spay all the little darlings AND someone else's Tom.
I guess if I have a point to make, it is that if you let your Tom cat outside, be responsible, and have him neutered. An intact male will travel a LONG, LONG way to find a female. And he will NOT come back to you once he finds her.

I have 3 cats - One basically stays inside for most of the day, except for early morning and early evening. She used to be totally outdoors, but she is getting a little slower, older, and more spoiled then she was once.
tongue.png
Our second cat, Boots, stays outside most of the day, and comes inside and sleeps in the house at night. Our third cat, Simon, is primarily an outdoor cat. We bring him inside occasionally to hang out with the family and cool off (it's 100+ degrees out there!) but somebody has to be watching him. Although he is fixed, he still has a tendency to spray. (Yes...it's possible.) He hasn't ever sprayed inside the house, but this is our brand new house and we would prefer to keep it smelling fresh. xD Plus, he just prefers it outside. He can bask in the sun, watch the birds (he never, ever, has actually attempted to catch one. He sits....and watches. And usually falls asleep during his watching!
lau.gif
) All of my cats were previously feral.

Outdoors doesn't necessarily mean a short life. My big, neutered male just had his 15th birthday and he is outdoor only, he refuses to come it at all. His outdoor's only brother was 13, he was PTS after developing pancreatic cancer. We live in the country and he doesn't wander since he is neutered and seems content to roam our barns looking for mice. My other three are indoor/outdoor. They sleep in the house every night and come and go as they please in the daytime. I tried raising our last kitten as indoor only but as she got older she would pace the house, meowing and bored in spite of her many toys and cat tree. Now she goes out in the daytime to play in the yard, find a sunny spot to roll in the grass or catch moths, her favorite pastime. They are safe inside at night but get to go out and do interesting cat things during the day and this has turned out to be the best option for us and them. All of my cats are spayed/neutered, so no unwanted babies. As far as hunting, they very rarely catch birds but they are amazing mousers. I can't remember the last time I even saw a mouse around here.

Quote:
Coyotes and raccoons eat them, don't know about foxes.

I have never kept an indoor cat. They smell too bad. We use to have a bunch of them in the barn years back. I don't have any now because the LGDs will keep all strays away. My neighbor still has a colony in her outbuildings, but the dogs don't let them wander over here too much.

Rural areas are full of feral cats, so you just end up with them hanging around the place because they find mice and food that way. You don't have to go get them, they just find you if you have a warm place for them to shelter and extra mice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom