Arizona Chickens

Interesting way to treat bumblefoot. Glad it worked on most of them. I wonder why the cockerels didn't clear up?

lau.gif

Looks like a great plan! When do you get started or have you?
Sill,

I think I've got my list together, but my greatest concern is how to transport all that lumber on my little 4-cylinder truck. With the tailgate down, the length is about 8 feet, but I want 8-ft, 10-ft and 12-ft pieces. How does one keep all that wood from sliding off, creating havoc for any following vehicles? They could probably strap them into bundles to keep the weight concentrated. Lowes charges $79.00 for delivery, and I didn't ask whether they just dump it in my driveway, or carry along side of the house to deposit in the back yard.

I barely weigh 130 pounds on a good day, maybe more if I'm constipated...LOL! I live in an HOA with barely 12 feet between houses, with only a small side gate into the back yard which is completely walled in.

I wanted to build my little side patio deck first with my first order of lumber, take a break for a week or two for recovery (LOL), then start the run with the second order. If I go the Lowes delivery route, I might as well buy all the lumber for both projects now and avoid two delivery charges.

On a side note, my 3-dimentional drawings are in "Perspective". I remember taking an art class in 8th grade back in 1968 with a fun art teacher. She was a tall, straight-haired blonde (hippie?), and loved playing her pristine Led Zepplin LP's and the like on one of those heavy-tracking classroom record players. See below.

You simply choose your angle, but the main edges had to be perpendicular. That's how you get your view from different angles, right, left, above, below, angled/direct front and/or behind. It's actually fun. You can see the angle of the record player, but the corner edges are straight up. That is my art lesson for the day. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Last edited:
Well momma got up off the nest today so the rest of the eggs went - they were not good at all. And one little one did not make it out of the shell all the way. So we have two. So far we also have a good momma. It was all teaching today - little talking from momma and they both came running - DANG cute! One of those little chicks is a spitfire already - new momma will have her wings full. All seems to be
well. Sorry pic is a bit blurry but she was telling me to buzz off as she was working here!

Congratulations! It's so much fun watching them.

I heard a strange crowing coming from the west pasture a little bit ago, didn't sound like any of the Orps or the Marans. Went out there and found a little black bantam rooster. My lavender Orp rooster eyed him the same time I did but he's faster than I am, I grabbed a rake, broke up the fight before the little guy could get killed, scooped him up and hightailed it to the gate. Went out the front, saw one of my neighbors down the road and asked her if she knew who the rooster belonged to and she told me she saw a car drive up to my place and stop and look over my fence. She thought they were looking at my chickens and didn't think anything of it. My place is cross fenced for the different breeds but you can see most of them from the street but the neighbor thought the woman threw something over the fence, after they drove off she checked out my pasture and didn't see any garbage or anything out of sorts, just the chickens and grass. She didn't notice the little guy, he must have run under a tree or bush after being tossed. So now I know where all these wayward roosters are coming from - the housing developments over on the Gilbert side where they are allowed 2 hens and no roosters, that's my guess anyway. One of my other neighbors took the little guy as a pet for his granddaughter, the little guy seems very tame so must have been handled a lot. I didn't want him anywhere near my Orp hens nor did my rooster!

What is wrong with people? How does someone think that's O.K. to do?
barnie.gif
I'm so glad you found a home for him though.

Are Black Soldier Flies common in Arizona? I want to raise some for my chickens does anyone here do that? If so what do you use to attract them and not house flys? I dont want to buy a starter set if I dont need to.

They are very common during the warmer months, less so during the cooler months. Put out a compost bin and they will come.

What kind of compost should I put in my bin to attract them?

I tried last year with no luck bringing them in on my own. They say they like coffee grounds so I stopped and got a whole bucket full from Starbucks. I was just about to get some BSF when I moved. I'm wanting to do them here as well as Mealworms and maybe compost worms that double as fishing worms.
1f60a.png

The little chick in the photo did not make it.. :hit

The other one is barly hanging in there.. I still have not had time to find out how this happens..

So, I drove to my friends house during lunch break to get some chicks for both broody's. Hope the jungle fowl will accept them. I put two rooster babies under her..

:hugs sry you lost one.

:lau  funny you dont even know what you have. GOOD LUCK!!!

She dd use the words " really good blood lines" in one breed. Honestly I don't care, they are here if they lay pretty eggs & are not mean to the others.. we have given so many away this year because of all the broody.. Hand raising is better, but some of the moma's won't let us get close once they leave the nest, so i out at night & take them from her then give them love. Now, I must say "pretty" the larger one, is now use to me going out & getting under her to see the eggs.. I will post what breeds as soon as she gets the breeds to me..

Back
Top Bottom