Arizona Chickens

Newbie to Arizona and we need 4 to 6 chicks for starters.
We're in New River and our coop/house/run is finished.

WHERE can we buy a few birds in AZ???

Looking for Heat-tolerant birds of course and EE's are at the top ofour list of favorites. Americaunas. Light Brahma? Tell me and I'll go get 'em.

PM's are good and OK with me.

Thank you

Kevin and Niki
New River, AZ

Last edited:
Quote:
I saw chicks at Mesa Feed Barn on Wednesday, but that's pretty far for you. They had EE's , gold sex links and something black that had the abbreviation au something.
They might also be gone by now. If you don't find someone on this list with the chicks you want, you can call around to feed stores and see if anyone has any.

I really like the sex links, production reds and Barred rocks for hardiness here. My EE didn't make it through the hot summer. My Lt Brahma didn't lay much in the summer and is molting hard now and not laying at all. If you can't have roosters, you might want to consider getting an assortment of sex links so you won't have to deal with it.
They lay well and are very hardy. I know someone in Gilbert that usually has black, red and marans sex links. I don't know about the marans sex links but the red and black are great birds.

Quote:
Welcome to AZ.
frow.gif
The low desert gets some extreme weather fluctuations for sure!
Hopefully someone here can hook you up. But most of the feed stores have chicks. There's a feed store in NR north of the Roadrunner on the access road. Used to be Whitey's feed, not sure anymore & not sure what they carry now. There's the Stock Shop on Thunderbird Rd, Pratt's on Glendale Ave, and the closest in town off I-17 coming south from New River is the Feed Lot 2 blocks north of Deer Valley Rd (they just moved, it's now west of 23rd Ave). Have you tried calling Black Mt feed in Cavecreek?

I lost 10 chicks. We need to adjust some lights. I have three 250-watt bulbs in a 10x8 area and its wrapped with an old wooly uhaul blankets. Hopefully tonight will be better. I really thought last night would be okay without the goats in there.

I have 7 hatched white quail and 5 chickens. It looks like Houdans, Spitzhauben and Phoenix.

NoSkiveez, I'm sorry to hear about your chicks. I thought it was only me. I lost 7 young ones so far, one looks like it probably isn't going to make it, it's in the house right now in sick bay, and we lost 'Crash' our WCBP roo. If you figure out what works, let me know. I have 2 250 lights on either side of the brooder, must need to add another one to the far side, and better do it today or I'll probably lose more.
sad.png
I'm getting really discouraged with all this.
Well, I need to head off to town, have a couple of service calls to make, but think I'll stop at Wally World and pick up another couple of heat lamps, and maybe even hit Goodwill for blankets for the brooder.
Good luck NoSkiveez!

Noisyroo, Don't know who has chicks for sale in feed stores right now, but Dales on Waddle and Litchfield has them regularly, and you could try Double D in Wickenburg. I have some, mostly mixed breeds that I'd be happy to sell, assuming I don't keep losing them to the cold and being smothered.
sad.png

Mesa feed barn is out of chicks. Adens fee store has silkies and road island reds. They are older but they are also a straight run.
smile.png

Mesa won't have any till spring and once Adens sells out they won't have them either!

Pratts in Glendale has them but I highly suggest avoiding that store.

Bob - We had lights in the corner and it appears there was a pile up in the corner. We attatched a wooden board from the brooder to the wall and are running the lights down the center tonight. This should even out the heat and make them spread out some. I hope. I will have to make a few trip out tonight and see if I need to adjust anything. These were Nov 21st hatchlings. Worst case senerio my husband has some lights that he used to use when he was painting houses that have really bright lights kinda like headlights on a tripod. I could put those in there.

I didn't expected any dead this morning. I really thought the goats smooshed them.

5pinkarrows,

I got more pictures of the feeder/water station for the chickens. The lid is in place on the feeder side and you can see how the chickens stretch for the food. It keeps their feet out. I love it as the water is clean and the feed stays in the feeder. This one is made out of scrap wood from pallets. He said if people wanted him to build them they would be out of new wood.

Click here to see new pics.

Back
Top Bottom