Arizona Chickens

Kpgoldstar, the spotty hen is so cool looking! I wonder why some of her feathers have come in lighter?

Can I ask what is up with all the @whomever ? It's a new thing...and super distracting to read all the time. I'll get over my curmudgeoness over it, don't mind me.

Haven't processed those 4 meaties yet. Still growing. I never could get them to convert over to fermented, so their poops are still rather large and splattery. At least they shoot way out and don't have messy vent feathers. They are far more active when they arrived. This morning I kept hearing a strange sound, and looked over and one fattie was trying to balance on a 5-gallon plant bucket that had been knocked over. Picture a lumberjack on a log in the water. It was hilarious, but she managed pretty well! They don't seem too stressed by the heat, but that huge pan of water in their coop has been amazing for them. So freaking gross to dump that thing every day though.
sickbyc.gif

The flies here are insane. I'm keeping things clean, but it doesn't matter. It's like, like I live next to a body farm or something. Hordes of flies. I put down more predator wasps this week, so I hope that helps some. I'm in suburbia, with neighbors that keep things pretty clean...I feel like a horrible neighbor since it's my handful of chickens creating the mass fly situation. Ugh. Hope those predators kick in asap.

Sorry to say I do not think that would be physically possible at this time as I am recovering from hip surgery and am wearing a brace that makes it difficult to ride in the car for more than a few minutes. If you would like to make the drive to Mesa (I60 and Dobson area) we would be happy to work out arrangements with you.
Let me ask my DH. are you ok with an evening pick up on Sat if we can work it out?

Kpgoldstar, the spotty hen is so cool looking!  I wonder why some of her feathers have come in lighter?

Can I ask what is up with all the @whomever ?  It's a new thing...and super distracting to read all the time.  I'll get over my curmudgeoness over it, don't mind me. 

Haven't processed those 4 meaties yet.  Still growing.   I never could get them to convert over to fermented, so their poops are still rather large and splattery.  At least they shoot way out and don't have messy vent feathers.  They are far more active when they arrived.  This morning I kept hearing a strange sound, and looked over and one fattie was trying to balance on a 5-gallon plant bucket that had been knocked over.  Picture a lumberjack on a log in the water.  It was hilarious, but she managed pretty well!  They don't seem too stressed by the heat, but that huge pan of water in their coop has been amazing for them.  So freaking gross to dump that thing every day though.  :sick

The flies here are insane.  I'm keeping things clean, but it doesn't matter.  It's like, like I live next to a body farm or something.  Hordes of flies.  I put down more predator wasps this week, so I hope that helps some.  I'm in suburbia, with neighbors that keep things pretty clean...I feel like a horrible neighbor since it's my handful of chickens creating the mass fly situation.  Ugh.  Hope those predators kick in asap. 

Our jungle fowl & duck's take care of the flies. .

I finally got around to getting some pics of my girls. They will be one year old at the end of September. I can't believe I've had them this long! I was mentioning how one of them (Snoopers) had all these light feathers suddenly. I wanted to capture how much different she looks than her sisters. They are production hatchery RIR's purchased at Pratts. Here she is pic one.

Here is another one of my pretty girl!

By contrast her sister Dot, the bossy pecker hen! We have bands on both legs so we can see her coming from any direction! All the rest of my girls have this coloring.

Snoop in the foreground, Lemon with the light colored wing, Leticia showing off her fuzzybutt!

Snoopy again.

We are finally getting some of the rain y'all had this evening. Not buckets but it is lightly sprinkling and it's dropped into the low 80's.
She is so pretty! I wonder if she will get more of the lighter feathers as she gets older like the Aloha or Swedish flower hens do? You'll have to post end of molt photos of her each year.

It's nice to be able to tell them apart. I have some sex links that look identical so we put different color leg bands on them. It's nice to know if I really have a broody or if it's a different chicken in the nest box.
idunno.gif

Kpgoldstar, the spotty hen is so cool looking! I wonder why some of her feathers have come in lighter?

Can I ask what is up with all the @whomever ? It's a new thing...and super distracting to read all the time. I'll get over my curmudgeoness over it, don't mind me.

Haven't processed those 4 meaties yet. Still growing. I never could get them to convert over to fermented, so their poops are still rather large and splattery. At least they shoot way out and don't have messy vent feathers. They are far more active when they arrived. This morning I kept hearing a strange sound, and looked over and one fattie was trying to balance on a 5-gallon plant bucket that had been knocked over. Picture a lumberjack on a log in the water. It was hilarious, but she managed pretty well! They don't seem too stressed by the heat, but that huge pan of water in their coop has been amazing for them. So freaking gross to dump that thing every day though.
sickbyc.gif

The flies here are insane. I'm keeping things clean, but it doesn't matter. It's like, like I live next to a body farm or something. Hordes of flies. I put down more predator wasps this week, so I hope that helps some. I'm in suburbia, with neighbors that keep things pretty clean...I feel like a horrible neighbor since it's my handful of chickens creating the mass fly situation. Ugh. Hope those predators kick in asap.
The @whomever gives a clickable link to that person. If you click that link you can go to their member page or leave them a PM, and maybe other features I don't know about. Try it with @pipemum Did you also notice as you were typing that that a list of forum members came up in a menu for you to chose from? Makes it easier if you don't remember their entire member name.

Oh the flies are bad this year! And what is with the crickets?? They are everywhere, even in the chickens' run. They can't eat them fast enough. Every time I turn my compost pile I have chickens waiting to dive onto the crickets that scatter. I even have them coming into the house, but at least my terriers find them for me before they make noise.

Our jungle fowl & duck's take care of the flies. .
I think we all need some of them!

sickbyc.gif

another thing with the @pipemum is that you get a notification from BYC when somebody mentions you in a post, You will get one anyway this time because I quoted you, but if I hadn't quoted you, you would get a notification.
You have almost convinced me to start some meaties.
When I rinse out the water trays, there are usually some small cockroaches hiding underneath, so my barred rock follows me around when I'm flipping and rinsing them. No escapees yet!

Last edited:
What would cause a hens wings to be featherless? I was at someone's house tonight and she said their hens used to be in with the Roos but they were rough so she separated them. Is this the cause? Will they come back in?

Is it possible or anyone have experience training a flock to go into a pen? A few times a day is what I'm really asking about. For instance could I seperate 2 flocks and let them free range at different times of the day? It's a fairly unique situation so it's hard to ask the correct question. Anyone have to put their birds up before letting the dogs out? How do you get them in the run each time?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom