Arizona Chickens

Hey everyone! Hows it going?
I just had an interesting chat with a city code inspector. He was sent to my property to check out a complaint in the alley. Turns out it was further up the alley. Of course, while he was here he checked my property. He told me, "I'm gonna ignore this but" my chickens are illegal. My coop structure is too big (8x16x7 with a slanted roof) only 9sq/ft is allowed, it's too close to the property line (3' off my wall facing the alley) and here's the kicker, a coop cannot be closer than 50' from any property line. Which means my nearly ¼ acre is not legal for chickens. There's nowhere thats 50' from a property line.

Now, when I built this 3 years ago, I went by the city code which was 50' from any neighbor dwelling and no more than 24 hens, keep it clean.

Did all of this change in Tucson since then and does anyone have a link to the new code?

I have this beautiful white leghorn/giant cross cockerel up for grabs if anyone wants him $5 rehoming fee, he was hand raised by me and is really good with the two hens I have him in with but he is not what I need for my breeding projects. Thanks in advance.

I heard about the 50 feet from Neighbors, the rest is news to me, I'm rural but heard it's hard to keep roosters in town due to noise, ron

I heard about the 50 feet from Neighbors, the rest is news to me, I'm rural but heard it's hard to keep roosters in town due to noise, ron
No roosters at all.
I am 50' from neighbors dwelling. This guy told me 50' from any property line. I'm searching for the code now but the city website sucks. I can't find it. I did find it on American Legal Publishings online website. According to it, I'm fully legal.

I am finding some things that say 50' from neighbors dwelling and 50' from property lines. If thats correct then, in most cases, chickens are not allowed in the city at all. Not a lot of homes in the city have enough yard to keep a coop 50' from any property line.

What this is leading me to, is that I may have to get rid of my birds and coop. There's the beginnings of a neighbor war going on here. The hoarder on the street has been complained on numerous times because she covers her yard with carpet and keeps piles of cardboard in her carport and yard. Pack rats are becoming a big problem now. I've seen them dive in and out from under her carpeted yard. I think people are starting to complain about everything now. The inspector gave me 10 days to clean up the weed/grass in my backyard while telling me my chickens aren't legal.

I've had hens for nearly 3 years now and have enjoyed it and many neighbors have purchased eggs from me in the past, but if there's gonna be a neighborhood complaint fest, I gotta get rid of them.

Last edited:
I am finding some things that say 50' from neighbors dwelling and 50' from property lines. If thats correct then, in most cases, chickens are not allowed in the city at all. Not a lot of homes in the city have enough yard to keep a coop 50' from any property line. 

What this is leading me to, is that I may have to get rid of my birds and coop. There's the beginnings of a neighbor war going on here. The hoarder on the street has been complained on numerous times because she covers her yard with carpet and keeps piles of cardboard in her carport and yard. Pack rats are becoming a big problem now. I've seen them dive in and out from under her carpeted yard.  I think people are starting to complain about everything now. The inspector gave me 10 days to clean up the weed/grass in my backyard while telling me my chickens aren't legal. 

I've had hens for nearly 3 years now and have enjoyed it and many neighbors have purchased eggs from me in the past, but if there's gonna be a neighborhood complaint fest, I gotta get rid of them. 

That draws a vacuum! You can do what I did, move out of the city.

What this is leading me to, is that I may have to get rid of my birds and coop. There's the beginnings of a neighbor war going on here. The hoarder on the street has been complained on numerous times because she covers her yard with carpet and keeps piles of cardboard in her carport and yard. Pack rats are becoming a big problem now. I've seen them dive in and out from under her carpeted yard. I think people are starting to complain about everything now. The inspector gave me 10 days to clean up the weed/grass in my backyard while telling me my chickens aren't legal.

Have you offered the inspector any tasty beverages or perhaps a VIP coupon to your favorite brewery?
wink.png

I'm sorry you are having to go through this.

Back
Top Bottom