Arizona Chickens

Yes some drying out time would be nice!  I've had standing water in the yard and the chickens' run.  I mucked out all the wet bedding but all the new bedding is now soaked and muddy too.  My large compost bins are full so I've just piled it up in the run.:(

I'm sure they will have a blast in their new home.  How old are they? 

About 7 weeks, I think...lost count!  Crossing my fingers still that they are all hens...three from sexed stock, and one straight run.  All sweet chickens so far.  Blondie, Brownie, Alice and Matilda the Hun.  Matilda is the head cheese at present...a bit of a bully at times, but only to make sure everyone else stays in line!  I'm wondering how I will be able to tell if my supposedly Ameraucana from The Stock Shop are truly Ameraucana, or Easter Eggers.  No sign of cheek puffs yet...when do those develop?

I've got a few more chicks coming in April...Black Copper Marans, Columbian Wyandotte and Blue Orpingtons.   I can't wait!
:welcome our new folks!

My Easter Eggers that have been from any pet stores which are usually hatchery bred chicks have often had green eggs or all of eggs so usually there Easter Eggers or sometimes they're Olive eggers and sometimes the the tuffs are not present.

Desert Marcy has some americanas and she is in Tucson. Sometimes she sells chicks or pullets and point of lay hens. Pardon my translation on the bad spelling!:(

Hey all. Just wanted to stop in and say hi. Everything has been crazy busy over here with my costumes and conventions and the hoidays. The chickens are doing good this winter. We did lose our little silkie roo a few months back. 7 of the 8 hens in the new flock have laid now. The Sultan is at about 1 egg a week now with the colder weather and my BCM completely halted. I think my polish is halted too but she never started in the first place. I have heard they can be a March-Oct layer and with her age and the way the seasons came I think it pushed her first egg back until this spring. I'm already getting 2 doz a week. I can't imagine what it will be like this spring. I'm not used to having more than 4 layers :p I've resorted to begging my friends to come get them because I can't send them to work with my bf every week! Hope everyone had a great holiday season and is doing well.

HI all I have some laying hens and pullets for sale the pullets are a Dark Cornish crossed with Barred rock and are 3 weeks to 10 weeks I have one cochin chick not sure what it is yet. Cream Creasted Legbar Jill Rees pullets a few days to 6 weeks old)-- plus 10 month old Darak Cornish crossed with barred rock laying hens KIngman Have other breeds hatching now also have hatching eggs from a variety of breeds

Last edited:
Come, on.. Ya gotta give us more than this!! Where are you & garden? whatnot.. If you're ever in Tempe, pop on over for a cup of tea..

We have our 5th wheel parked near downtown Phoenix now and for the past 2 months we have been. We were in Flagstaff for a bit at the end of summer but had to come back down for a procedure I had to have. Living one day at a time right now.

Haven't been gardening due to full time RV'ing but we have plans to be on a piece of land sooner than later and I can't wait to get chickens again. Especially my Delaware's.

Thanks for the invite. I may take you up on it. We had talked about a bike ride at one point anyways.
1f610.png

Hi everyone. I have a question about a crop issue. One of my Americans has always had a larger crop (she was born last April), but recently it has gotten the size of a large orange and it is bothering her. I felt it and it gurgles a little bit when very gently massaged and I can feel grit in there. She appears to be eating and has fresh water available every day. Any thoughts on what could be wrong and ways I can help her?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom