Arizona Chickens

Persistant broody finally getting it done. Tried a couple times to break her but she has been insistant since mid August. Finally the summer heat started to abate, got her moved into a proper brood pen, gave her some fresh eggs to work with and today she finally succeeded. She is sitting a full dozen so the next couple days will be exciting.

Good luck with your hatching chicks. I have some waiting to hatch in my incubator.

Thanks. This is our 2nd broody. Brand new incubator still in the box. The 2 girls from the last hatch should start laying pretty soon. Mixed breeds so looking forward to playing "pullet or cockerel" as well as whose your mama with this new hatch. Roos are Black Australorp and EE.

Last edited:
Thanks. This is our 2nd broody. Brand new incubator still in the box. The 2 girls from the last hatch should start laying pretty soon. Mixed breeds so looking forward to playing "pullet or cockerel" as well as whose your mama with this new hatch. Roos are Black Australorp and EE.

How could you leave a brand new incubator in the box? You need more eggs!
lau.gif
Mine are all Australorps over here. My rooster is a splash colored one though, and I have black, blue, and splash POL pullets.

We are growing a little at a time. Trying not to let chicken math engulf us. At present we have 5 pens with an average of 9 birds per pen.
Added a Nubian milker and a doeling in March so that slowed us down some.
Just bred both of them so goat math is also now in play.
1f601.png

Congrats & what fun you'll have! Plus the "how will you look" when you grow up fun you'll have.

Anyone going to the state fair? I'm hoping to make it to see the pretty chickies. Not sure which day....preferably weekday when it won't be so crowded. I also need to find out if there'll be an issue with having my service dog in the poultry area....thinking the contact information on the registration form might tell me. Least, I hope!!!!
I'm planning to go next weekend (11/15 and/or 16) when we can view the chickens. I believe the judging takes place during the week (Wed or Th). I'm hoping to maybe meet a breeder of Brown Leghorns but I know that's probably a long shot but ya never know. I never been to a poultry showing so I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm planning to go next weekend (11/15 and/or 16) when we can view the chickens. I believe the judging takes place during the week (Wed or Th). I'm hoping to maybe meet a breeder of Brown Leghorns but I know that's probably a long shot but ya never know. I never been to a poultry showing so I'm really looking forward to it.
I think it's Friday for me. The entry form said it's from the 12-16. I don't remember which day they said for judging. Just those are the days that the birds are to be in the "poultry building" which isn't indicated anywhere on the website. Best I can figure is it's the animal barns which are the southeast corner of the grounds. There's an entrance there too. So.....just in case the "oh, I gooootttttaaa haaavvvveeee" bug hits over a chicken that's for sale I'm thinking parking in the lot nearest to there.

FYI spead $40 at Fry's (excluding the usual alcohol, cigarettes, lottery, etc) & you get a free admittance for 2 adults. Just have to bring the whole receipt & give it to them at the gate/ticket booth. :) And the Milk folks have a buy milk, cheese, & yogurt on 1 receipt (no size, brand, etc. indicated) & get $3 off a ticket. Couple of ways to save a few bucks.

I don't remember how much parking is, I think $10. Which I think is the same price as an adult admittance. Though there are the various things with rides, etc.

Edit: It's spend & it has to be on 1 receipt.

Last edited:
I think it's Friday for me. The entry form said it's from the 12-16. I don't remember which day they said for judging. Just those are the days that the birds are to be in the "poultry building" which isn't indicated anywhere on the website. Best I can figure is it's the animal barns which are the southeast corner of the grounds. There's an entrance there too. So.....just in case the "oh, I gooootttttaaa haaavvvveeee" bug hits over a chicken that's for sale I'm thinking parking in the lot nearest to there.

FYI spead $40 at Fry's (excluding the usual alcohol, cigarettes, lottery, etc) & you get a free admittance for 2 adults. Just have to bring the whole receipt & give it to them at the gate/ticket booth. :) And the Milk folks have a buy milk, cheese, & yogurt on 1 receipt (no size, brand, etc. indicated) & get $3 off a ticket. Couple of ways to save a few bucks.

I don't remember how much parking is, I think $10. Which I think is the same price as an adult admittance. Though there are the various things with rides, etc.

Edit: It's spend & it has to be on 1 receipt.
You mean you can buy chickens there too? Very cool! Gosh you shouldn't have told me that. I already packed the crate in the back of my truck just in case. Man, that's good to know - thanks much!

Congrats & what fun you'll have! Plus the "how will you look" when you grow up fun you'll have.

Yes we are looking forward to that.
The first hatch turned out to be re-enforcement of the lesson in genetics which is frequently discussed when talking about sex amd feather linking.
EE roo over BR and Leghorn hens made it very evident where the males are concerned.

The pullets it isn't as clear to me who the mamas are. There os a Red Star, a Speckled Sussex, a Brahma Orp and a RIR mix in addition to the pair of BRs and White Leghorns with the same EE roo.

Back
Top Bottom