Arizona Chickens

Hi to all AZ people im in Bisbee AZ
frow.gif
any one near by...? if so let me know
thumbsup.gif

mail
take care Dianna Starr

Well, I WAS in the SV/Hereford area, but then I moved up here to Fort Thomas and everyone and everything is a minimum 3 hour drive in every direction. :(

To my AZ backyard chicken family:

Completely, sorta, off topic. I just couldn't take it anymore and retired this past Friday from my job of 25+ years. I absolutely hated it for the last five years, and came to the realization that my mental and physical health come first.

It's a financial loss for me, making over $18/hr, and now have to pay for my own health insurance, but I think it will be worth while in the long run. I still make over $700/month playing organ at a local church which will aid the finances, and plan on collecting an extra $1,200/month from social security when I turn 62 in August. No one is promised to live to 65, so I'm gonna get it now before it possibly goes away.

The stress, frustration and daily anger has taken a toll on me, losing almost 10 pounds working in that hell hole. I didn't realize I lost that much weight until the doctor gave me the hairy eyeball after stepping off the scales. I knew something was going on because my clothes were kinda baggy, but never suspected that much weight loss. I may weigh 125 lbs on a good day.

Anyhoo, I am now free to finish my projects with no time frame or pressure. Thank you for taking the time to read this. There are a lot of caring individuals out there, and I appreciate all the advice/experience you have all shared.

Your shared knowledge is truly appreciated, more than you'll ever know. Lemme take a nap for a few weeks (LOL) then get busy with finishing these half-done projects. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Oh, maybe I'll find a piano teacher and get back into playing my Classics again, because this beauty is just collecting dust right now.

Edited by Bobby Basham - Today at 4:37 pm

Well, once you get some chickens in that gorgeous enclosure you'll have plenty of chicken therapy to help you reduce stress too.
wink.png
Sounds like you made the right choice, and I hope you return to healthful vitality quickly.

Completely, sorta, off topic. I just couldn't take it anymore and retired this past Friday from my job of 25+ years. I absolutely hated it for the last five years, and came to the realization that my mental and physical health come first.

It's a financial loss for me, making over $18/hr, and now have to pay for my own health insurance, but I think it will be worth while in the long run. I still make over $700/month playing organ at a local church which will aid the finances, and plan on collecting an extra $1,200/month from social security when I turn 62 in August. No one is promised to live to 65, so I'm gonna get it now before it possibly goes away.

The stress, frustration and daily anger has taken a toll on me, losing almost 10 pounds working in that hell hole. I didn't realize I lost that much weight until the doctor gave me the hairy eyeball after stepping off the scales. I knew something was going on because my clothes were kinda baggy, but never suspected that much weight loss. I may weigh 125 lbs on a good day.

Anyhoo, I am now free to finish my projects with no time frame or pressure. Thank you for taking the time to read this. There are a lot of caring individuals out there, and I appreciate all the advice/experience you have all shared.

Your shared knowledge is truly appreciated, more than you'll ever know. Lemme take a nap for a few weeks (LOL) then get busy with finishing these half-done projects. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Oh, maybe I'll find a piano teacher and get back into playing my Classics again, because this beauty is just collecting dust right now.

It sounds like you made the right decisiosn, BB . Youre health is much more important.

IN the meantime, each some boxes of craft mac n cheese with extra shaker parmesean some cheddar dogs, kick back and watch some shakespeak based movies and enjoy life.

Also do get into tha piano! I've got a baby grand that collects dust...need to get back into it as well XD

Your coop is looking AMAZING by the way!! Definitely similar to what I would build on my future farm!! (Accept I would build about 5 of them XD)

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Congratulations on your retirement! You just don't realize how positive a negative can be. I know - I pushed myself to 62 and then retired and took early SS. I've never regretted it one iota! Enjoy your nap and then get on those projects - there's chicks out there that want to go home with you!!

Thank you all for the encouragement folks. I just keep second-guessing myself thinking I've made the wrong decision and am a little apprehensive/nervous about the whole deal, but something had to change and I couldn't keep going down that path. It was really wearing on me.

Oh, that big structure that you see is my RUN, and I'm constantly redesigning the coop to go in there, and it will be a gem when I complete it. I just sit and draw, draw, draw everything from scratch. I don't know why I got obsessed with 4x4 lumber and 2x6. The foundation boards will disappear once I get some deep litter going. It will eventually be a big play pen with plenty to keep the girls busy. Thanks to all your suggestions, there will be enough to keep them occupied. After the coop is built, I will have to go into "Interior Decorator" mode for the run, perches, stuff to climb on, hang some swinging veggies, places to dust bathe etc.

Thanks again for your well wishes and prayers. God didn't create us to fail. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. --BB

Last edited:
I wanna start off with about 4 Delawares, 4 Black Austrolorps and maybe four other brown egg layers, maybe a sex-link of some sort. I don't want anything flighty and scittish, I want them all to know me and trust me. A dozen might be a bit much, since my ideal number was six. The coup might be a bit tight (6x6 or 7x7), but the playground will be enough room for them to romp around. With our beautiful Arizona weather, they won't need to be hanging out in the coop anyway, plus, I have a huge 12 x 20 tarp to put over the run when the rainy season hits.

Yes, their little fluffy butts will be spoiled. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Hi Bobby,
To my AZ backyard chicken family: Completely, sorta, off topic. I just couldn't take it anymore and retired this past Friday from my job of 25+ years. I absolutely hated it for the last five years, and came to the realization that my mental and physical health come first. It's a financial loss for me, making over $18/hr, and now have to pay for my own health insurance, but I think it will be worth while in the long run. I still make over $700/month playing organ at a local church which will aid the finances, and plan on collecting an extra $1,200/month from social security when I turn 62 in August. No one is promised to live to 65, so I'm gonna get it now before it possibly goes away. The stress, frustration and daily anger has taken a toll on me, losing almost 10 pounds working in that hell hole. I didn't realize I lost that much weight until the doctor gave me the hairy eyeball after stepping off the scales. I knew something was going on because my clothes were kinda baggy, but never suspected that much weight loss. I may weigh 125 lbs on a good day. Anyhoo, I am now free to finish my projects with no time frame or pressure. Thank you for taking the time to read this. There are a lot of caring individuals out there, and I appreciate all the advice/experience you have all shared. Your shared knowledge is truly appreciated, more than you'll ever know. Lemme take a nap for a few weeks (LOL) then get busy with finishing these half-done projects. --BB Bobby Basham Tucson, Arizona Oh, maybe I'll find a piano teacher and get back into playing my Classics again, because this beauty is just collecting dust right now. Edited by Bobby Basham - Today at 4:37 pm
just wanted you to know I'm praying for you. I had to take medical retirement, but I know the Good Lord is Faithful, n closer than a brother through it all. Best regards n know that being able to get into that which you love n enjoy is such great therapy!!!

I wanna start off with about 4 Delawares, 4 Black Austrolorps and maybe four other brown egg layers, maybe a sex-link of some sort. I don't want anything flighty and scittish, I want them all to know me and trust me. A dozen might be a bit much, since my ideal number was six. The coup might be a bit tight (6x6 or 7x7), but the playground will be enough room for them to romp around. With our beautiful Arizona weather, they won't need to be hanging out in the coop anyway, plus, I have a huge 12 x 20 tarp to put over the run when the rainy season hits.

Yes, their little fluffy butts will be spoiled. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

You're going to want some pitch to that tarp so the water runs off it. If the tarp just lays flat over the framework it will collect water in each of those spaces between the beams, and dumping out the water will not be easy. It took me a couple of years to figure out how to tarp my 10' x 10' kennel coop (chain link fence panels in a square) without having the tarp sag down to roost height in a storm. Had to improvise a pipe framework to make a pitched "roof" to give the tarp enough slope to shed water. Even now it will collect water and sag if I don't have the tarp stretched just right.

I'm guessing the chickens are going to be needing that tarp for shade, too. Good luck!

Thank you all for taking time to read my posts. I realize that we are all human and have our issues, many which I have read in the past.

I just needed to reach out to some folks because I don't have close friends, but you all were my first choice to share. Just a bunch of wholesome folks. --BB

You're going to want some pitch to that tarp so the water runs off it. If the tarp just lays flat over the framework it will collect water in each of those spaces between the beams, and dumping out the water will not be easy. It took me a couple of years to figure out how to tarp my 10' x 10' kennel coop (chain link fence panels in a square) without having the tarp sag down to roost height in a storm. Had to improvise a pipe framework to make a pitched "roof" to give the tarp enough slope to shed water. Even now it will collect water and sag if I don't have the tarp stretched just right.

I'm guessing the chickens are going to be needing that tarp for shade, too. Good luck!

Well, I'm officially retired now and have time to monitor that tarp. My structure is flat and easily take a broom and brush off the excess water. It won't be there 24/7, but it will be fastened with Eye-bolts when I need to attach it for longer periods of time. --BB

Back
Top Bottom