Arizona Chickens

@SonoranChick Racers are pretty skinny right - at least the ones around here are. I've only seen one in the long number of years we've been here - a red racer - mouth didn't look big enough!
@BlueBaby - a broody hen would kill to the end if they had guts enough to come near them/their babies or eggs. There are a few YouTubes out there.......
Sometimes the king snake that lives at the neighbors mostly will come into the yard - seems to have done it often and the girls just ignore it. Makes me jump but not them!

Ok, so I guess that I'm not too old yet to learn something new. I still will get rid of any snake that comes in my coop and run, if they can manage to find a way in, and that mean's any 2-legged snakes, too! :lau

Thanks! We are looking at relocating in the coming months. I love my silkies, showgirls, and having a couple roosters around. We plan to have an acre or two, but I understand if a neighbor complains about noise, it would be a problem even if they're legal to own. I hope to find a poultry friendly neighborhood. I can't imagine not having chickens - roosters included. I would never stay. After a couple years of getting used to the area, we'll likely get a large acreage where this won't be an issue. This is a starting off point. If there's anyone in the area who can put my mind at ease I'll be very happy. I can already see the area has an obscene number of fearless coyotes, so free ranging will not be a thing. One gave us a stink eye for making it get up and out of the road so we could drive through.

Thanks! We are looking at relocating in the coming months. I love my silkies, showgirls, and having a couple roosters around. We plan to have an acre or two, but I understand if a neighbor complains about noise, it would be a problem even if they're legal to own. I hope to find a poultry friendly neighborhood. I can't imagine not having chickens - roosters included. I would never stay. After a couple years of getting used to the area, we'll likely get a large acreage where this won't be an issue. This is a starting off point. If there's anyone in the area who can put my mind at ease I'll be very happy. I can already see the area has an obscene number of fearless coyotes, so free ranging will not be a thing. One gave us a stink eye for making it get up and out of the road so we could drive through.

Well, I hope that you will be able to find the right place for both you and those Showgirls. I have been thinking about getting a NN Showgirl roo in either a white or Splash coloring like the one in your avatar. I have the standard-sized NN/Breese mixes right now, for my dual-purpose birds, but I think those NN Showgirls are neat looking too, even if they are smaller.

PS. Just stay away from those HOA places when you relocate.

Yeah those are my paint silkies and showgirls. I've drastically reduced my flock and hope to bring some with me. We are definitely avoiding hoas, and looking outside city limits, which is why Diamond Bell Ranch is appealing.

Is Diamond Bell in the outskirts of Tucson? I don't really know the name. Nevermind, I looked it up. Looks to be in the Three Points area. There is a gentleman who take any and all roos, that lives in that area, from backyard folks who can't have roos. So I'm thinking rooster friendly as I personally know a family that homed 4 to him! Anyways, welcome to the AZ page and I hope you find what you need.

I just deep cleaned and rearranged the entire run...took about 2 hours! I even got all the feathers from the molting, although that was probably pointless because they are still dropping them like crazy. The girls found a scorpion and ripped it in half to share :D Now I'm totally rethinking the pine shavings/deep bedding, I forgot how much they kick that stuff up and it will be caked into the waterers everyday, even if they're raised up on blocks. Maybe I will do half sand, half pine shavings separated by large rocks...and keep the waterers on the sand side. Ahhhhgg I just don't know what to do to get the clean-up more streamlined! My husband will help with the egg collecting and poop boards, but daily poop pick up is a huge chore.

@Shayna welcome to the thread! I am kind of familiar with the 3 points area but not that specific neighborhood. Most of that region is zoned for livestock though, I would assume chickens would be okay!

Yeah those are my paint silkies and showgirls. I've drastically reduced my flock and hope to bring some with me. We are definitely avoiding hoas, and looking outside city limits, which is why Diamond Bell Ranch is appealing.
Three Points is pretty rural - you'll probably be fine with roosters there. They aren't allowed in Tucson, though.

Back
Top Bottom