Arizona Chickens

On Saturday morning I went out to say hi to our 6 girls and found our 1st egg. Was so excited. The egg was perfectly sized, brown color, etc. I was told that often the 1st few eggs are small, odd shaped, etc. but still perfectly healthy to eat. This led me to believe my sneaky family was playing a trick on me but the egg was so warm that I knew it was from our coop. :)

Well I went out in hope to find our 2nd egg yesterday and again today and no egg. Have others experienced this where you get 1 egg and none for a few days? Is this normal? I was not sure. We haven't eaten the 1st egg yet but probably will today.
wee.gif
Congrades on your first egg. This happens to me all the time.

There was a (true) story a few years back on another list about a lady who ordered a number of animals, and did not tell her husband.

So he answers the door one day and the mailman is there with a large box of chicks. "Oh, ok. Honey, did you order chicks?" Next day a truck pulls up and a farmer gets out and brings a big box of just weaned rabbits to the door. Once again, DH is home and answers. This time he is a bit more perplexed. Next day another truck hauling a trailer pulls up, and the driver gets out and brings a few goats on leads to the door. This keeps going on all week, with more and more diverse and larger animals, an a more and more unhappy husband. Finally the horses are delivered. Next day the doorbell rings; when DH opens it and looks out, he immediately slams the door in the driver's face.

The driver was lost and looking for directions; his truck had a large sign advertising the circus.

yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

Another first egg laid today. Out of my 10 hens, 6 lay (or will lay) brown eggs, today I got 4 brown eggs. 2 lay olive/green eggs (today I got 0, but there is still another hour) and 2 will lay white (just waiting for them to mature). I am getting so egg-cited to get my near dozen a day.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/posts/add/threadId/31227/toquote/9139525
You will be surprised how much fodder 4 hens and 3rabbits will eat! My friend gets 25# white wheat from Sams Club, I've found 5# bags of hard red wheat at local organic market ( I think this sprouts best, with least fungus, for me), now I get it from Azure Standard , available in 5-50# bags. Azure is also where I get organic, no GMO corn/soy chicken feed too. Azure delivers all over AZ, just had drop off yesterday here. Start small and figure out what works best for you, at your house. My wheat is on a 5-day soak-to-feed cycle right now, very fast and rewarding "gardening"!
Jenni

Went on vacation and its taking me all day to get caught up on all the forums plus my FB
caf.gif

Looking for more silkies next week
love.gif
. I enjoyed all the pictures, stories, and seeing lots of new faces too.
frow.gif

so we got the little gosling today. the 5 year old named it duckly....i was hoping for ryan goseling! How do I post pictures so I can try and figure out what breed it is. Does it need another goose buddy?

Also do you know if any feed stores have guineas. I have a friend that is looking for some and I thought I would pick some up while I am there. She is really wanting some lavenders.

Back
Top Bottom