Arizona Chickens

Just checking in..

The girls seem to like their new coop - except I think they are confused.

They roost during the day... and then try to hang out in the run at night - all curled up next to the waterer - basically in the open air. My husband took the nesting boxes down and placed them on the ground, but he has to go in there and place them inside the box at night because they refuse to roost. It's good for them during the day but at night.. they want nothing to do with it.

I'm starting to think that maybe chickens aren't very bright. Or there's something wrong with our setup. We have 5 more pullets in the brooder, and I'm afraid they're going to be bizarre about the open coop as well.

Either way, I hope everybody is enjoying the cooler weather!

Just checking in..

The girls seem to like their new coop - except I think they are confused.

They roost during the day... and then try to hang out in the run at night - all curled up next to the waterer - basically in the open air. My husband took the nesting boxes down and placed them on the ground, but he has to go in there and place them inside the box at night because they refuse to roost. It's good for them during the day but at night.. they want nothing to do with it.

I'm starting to think that maybe chickens aren't very bright. Or there's something wrong with our setup. We have 5 more pullets in the brooder, and I'm afraid they're going to be bizarre about the open coop as well.

Either way, I hope everybody is enjoying the cooler weather!
Chickens are creatures of habit. After a while they should develop a routine of sleeping on the roosts. After all they were not sleeping up high until now right. I used to have birds who needed to make that change also and they did. Let me look for pictures of your set-up.

Chickens are creatures of habit. After a while they should develop a routine of sleeping on the roosts. After all they were not sleeping up high until now right. I used to have birds who needed to make that change also and they did. Let me look for pictures of your set-up.

They will stay in the box all night after being put inside but hop down off the roost if placed there.

They are about 5 weeks old now.

Yesterday was day 7 so we candled all the eggs. Out of 25 that were set 23 are growing and moving.
big_smile.png
Must be finally doing something right. Of the 2 that were bad 1 was an early quiter and the other never started. Now if I can just see some good percentages tomorrow!

Hi Phottoman and Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
from San Diego County.... Ya yanked your post on the other thread before I could answer.... LOL.

Just put some grit or dirt in a dish so he can pick and choose. If you can tie it to the side of the cage even better so he doesn't step in it and flip it over. A One liter sota bottle with a chicken head sized oval cut in the side would work, fill it with about a cup or two of grit. Tie some wire or cord at the top under the rib under the cap and tie it to the side of the cage. Id put it in a corner to help keep it from swinging.

edited to add a photo

Just make sure the hole is big enough for his comb and wattles so he doesnt scrape anything.

deb
This goes in the "Now Why Didn't I Think Of That" department.

Because that is exactly what I did to hang pellets as a feed for him, and it IS in a corner of the cage. Water is in the small watering container that I bought when the chicks were first brought home, and that is hanging in an opposite corner. I have plenty of small plastic bottles around that I could easily make another "feeder" out of and put gravel in that.

It was mentioned that I wouldn't need gravel if he was eating soft things, I have NO IDEA what sort of "soft things" he could eat, but I gave him some of the same pellet food the girls have, though they don't eat much of that any more, since they are free ranging from sun up till sun down.

And the welcome was nice, though I have been on for several months now, I just don't post every day or every hour, not at ALL interested in getting my post count over the top.

And thank you all folks, for responding. I knew you'd all come through.

Skip

I've got an acre to work with and the neighbors directly behind me wouldn't mind a beehive. We do have a variety of native bees (not honeybees), but they're attracted to the native plants more than the garden. For native bee and butterfly nirvana, check out a flowering male desert broom.
yesss.gif

I've been trying to improve the forage on my property so the chickens aren't so reliant on commercial feed. The property is mostly scorched-earth creosote flat with a few scrubby velvet mesquites. Between the critters, ants, and termites there isn't much organic stuff on/in the ground here. I recently planted some Kino heritage fruit trees - a couple of pomegranates and a quince - in rainwater catchment basins. I'm trying to figure out what I can plant around the base of those trees that might actually grow and provide munchies for the chickens in the form of greens or bugs. First thing I did was mulch the rainwater catchment basins in an attempt to start conditioning the soil. First thing the chickens did was kick all the mulch out of the basins. This might be a losing battle. There's got to be a way to improve the habitat that doesn't involve a million dollar water bill every month. I am open to suggestions.
I plant a Russian Tortoise mix in the spring and fall for my tortoises and for the chickens. The mix has a bunch of nutritious edible weeds. You can get it at http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/ca...id=162&zenid=7cdf7443134f255ec2b98485472af66e
They also have purslane, which grows here wild. When I have chicks, they love the sprouts from this mix too!

Back
Top Bottom