Arkansas folks speak up.........

Hunt-yes I would love that! When do u think you will be coming thru. Wihat other kinds of birds do have, I have a whole gaggle yard full. Yes I just loved those birds. Sweet, interested in everything you were doing. Now I'm on the hunt for new birds..would just fall over if I could find a mating pair. But I am not holding my breath.....thanks everyone for your condolences.

Hunt-yes I would love that! When do u think you will be coming thru. Wihat other kinds of birds do have, I have a whole gaggle yard full. Yes I just loved those birds. Sweet, interested in everything you were doing. Now I'm on the hunt for new birds..would just fall over if I could find a mating pair. But I am not holding my breath.....thanks everyone for your condolences.
If it woulda happened last week, I was up there turkey hunting, but I am nto going this weekend, I gave up on them, they weren't cooperating. Proably closer to the end of the May, or maybe early June, unless I head up to fish ont he Spring one afternoon in the coming weeks, I will let you know.

I only have 3 rightnow, and 1 of them has taken to laying lighter (not super dark) eggs. SO really, I have 1 BCM that is laing good eggs right now, maybe she will darken up next week or 2.

well I guess I can add my sad story too. went out to check on everyone one last time-just started raining. went down the hill where the sebbies are (were) at...well something finally got them. they are all gone...the door was pried open and feathers all over the place. i'm so bummed! they were some of my favies!!

so if anyone has some that I can get eggs from, or any goslings. please let me know!!
Hate to hear it! I just know we are going to have a loss free weekend! We deserve it. Not liking the cold temp last night and neither are my chicks. Have a great weekend everyone.

This weekend was supposed to be our big push to finish the coop! Oh well. Good thing the chicks won't need it right away. Setting up the brooder today to get ready for 11 arrive next week!

Beginner's Workshop Poultry Meetup - The ABC's of Keeping Backyard Poultry!

Saturday, May 11, 2013
12:00 PM
Brown's Country Restaurant Benton, AR

It has been requested that we have a Beginner's Workshop Poultry Meetup. So we are planning a round table discussion with some of our own group's top breeders. You will here stories of how we got started to help you get started. There will be an extended question and answer session. If one person can not answer your question, another will.

So join us at this special Beginner's Workshop and Swap Meetup!

Swap afterwards in the overflow parking lot
(old gas station next door)

FYI: All poultry must be NPIP or be Pullorum/Typhoid tested with 90 day certificate. There may be a tester on premises, but not confirmed yet. Small animals, sheep, goats, rabbits etc are welcome. Just have ALPC required paperwork. All goats/sheep must have scrapies ear tags. Swap will be next door at the old truck stop, now Brown’s over flow parking lot. Sellers must bring their own cages. Buyers should bring transport cages or boxes.

A livestock transporter will be available for a small fee.

Any questions, PM Jim A. Hall.

I hate to admit this, but... When my dog got into the chicken coop, it did not stop. i eventually had to "discipline" my dog with one of the chickens she had enjoyed, and then made her sit there and look at it for almost an hour. This harsh treatment seemed to work. It has been almost 3 years and she won't even run the chickens out of her food bowl now.

Everything has to exist in harmony on our little homestead. I am too busy to have to worry about what all of my animals are doing and if everyone is getting along. So I trained them. I have three herding dogs all from cattle lines that have a lot of head and heal bite on stock. I have trialed them a bit and used them on friends cattle ranches when they needed help during brandings and the like. When we got our first chickens I was very worried about the dogs being out while the chickens were out since all I had been doing for the past few years was honing their predatory instincts. (One of my dogs had actually killed a chicken at my parents house). Then I realized I was being silly. I had trained them to do some amazing things around livestock. Why not train them to leave the chickens alone? Initially the dogs could only be turned out outside when I was present so I could control the situation. (One dog at a time! Even now, I won't leave all three outside unsupervised with the chickens. Once that pack mentality takes over dogs can be difficult to stop). Each dog needed a few corrections and that was it. Now 2 of them can be turned out all day with the chickens unsupervised and coexist peacefully. The 3rd dog is young and is not ready yet. Until he is ready, he will be kenneled when I cannot supervise his behavior around the chickens. In the beginning it took a lot of time and effort on my part but I am very pleased with the result.

I don't think anyone should feel bad when correcting there dog for doing something it shouldn't do. Obviously, you want the punishment to fit the crime and killing chickens is a felony in my book. But at the same time, dogs are predators by instinct so we have to show them what behaviors are acceptable and which ones aren't. Otherwise you are constantly punishing a dog for something it doesn't know was "wrong" in the first place.

Thought I would post this link for you guys too. A BYC interactive member map! If you are interested we would love to see your dot added. A member named Ken started this map and it has been in use for a while in the Tx thread.
Thanks, I have been wanting to do this myself. Since I live near the border and participate in both the AR and TX threads. I appreciate you.

Edited to add: Once you add your placemarker, it is a good idea to check on it every couple of months to see if it has been accidently moved.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have been wanting to do this myself. Since I live near the border and participate in both the AR and TX threads. I appreciate you.

Edited to add: Once you add your placemarker, it is a good idea to check on it every couple of months to see if it has been accidently moved.
That's very neat! How do you add your dot and mark it with your name?

That's very neat! How do you add your dot and mark it with your name?
You have to be logged in google. Then the edit button will show up. Then I think you add a place to the map and edit it for your name and info. Just be careful when you are looking for your location and in the edit screen that you don't accidently drag someone else around on the map. LOL
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom