Arkansas folks speak up.........

I'm hoping that there will be a nice turn out at the swap on sat. There is never that is close to me, my daughter and I have been wanting to go to one but I can't afford making a 4 hr trip all in one day. I am hoping that I can meet some local farmers that are close enough to me so that I can be able to get some new blood into my flocks.

Hope to see some of y'all there...hopefully the rain doesn't keep us from having a good time!

I went to the spring livestock show at Little Rock this past weekend just to see what it is like. I would like to get into showing chickens and I've never paid much attention at the county fair. I have always enjoyed looking at the livestock but have never really looked with a critical eye. There were some beautiful birds there. I didn't see any dominiques or javas and I have both. Is it an advantage or disadvantage or neither to show birds that aren't popular in your area? I'm still trying to figure out what my favorites are but dominiques are at the top of the list so far.
The disadvantage I have seen to showing a non-popular breed would be not being able to see how yours shape up against others of their breed. I have d'Anvers and at most of the shows there are only one or two others there besides mine. Mine get Best of Breed and Reserve of Breed, but when there is no competition, you really don't know if your bird was a good example or just the best one there. lol (Unless you can ask the judge)

That being said, I think most of us would love to see some of those less popular breeds at the shows. We need more breeds represented. If that is the breed you love and want to show, then do it! Most judges will be glad to look at them with you and point out ways to improve, if they have time.

Anyone here have lavender orpingtons for sale on craigs list?? Or know the person who does??

I would like to get some, but since it is a far drive for me pics or reccomendations from someone would be nice.

Thanks, Paula

we're located in Greenwood, AR, how far away are you?? What would you be looking at for price and I really don't think we're necessarily looking at "pure" breeds, they are just pets, eggs layers and fun to watch!!

The disadvantage I have seen to showing a non-popular breed would be not being able to see how yours shape up against others of their breed. I have d'Anvers and at most of the shows there are only one or two others there besides mine. Mine get Best of Breed and Reserve of Breed, but when there is no competition, you really don't know if your bird was a good example or just the best one there. lol (Unless you can ask the judge)

That being said, I think most of us would love to see some of those less popular breeds at the shows. We need more breeds represented. If that is the breed you love and want to show, then do it! Most judges will be glad to look at them with you and point out ways to improve, if they have time.
Thank you so much. I appreciate your response. I've always kind of done my own thing anyway, so I'll just go with the chickens I like and just enjoy them.

You have to be logged in google. Then the edit button will show up. Then I think you add a place to the map and edit it for your name and info. Just be careful when you are looking for your location and in the edit screen that you don't accidently drag someone else around on the map. LOL
fl.gif
Thanks! I will try again.

Back
Top Bottom