Arkansas folks speak up.........

Here's the ones I just hatched, they go to their new home tomorrow. Sad to see them go but making more room for the others that are fixing to hatch.

BTW: I've got pea hatching eggs if anyone is interested

Do any of you sell your extra eggs or meat or even veggies from home or at a farmer's market? Can you tell me what the rules and regs are for doing that? Do you just get to set up or do they have to be inspected/approved etc. Curious for future reference.

Been a rough week for my chickens... We lost 2 6 week old chicks to gnats on Thursday, a lavender Orpington and a silkie. Today while my wife was cleaning out the brooder, she put our last 2 chicks inside a cage in the chicken run which usually is no big deal, but when she came out this evening to bring them in, they were gone, the cage was still locked. I figure a snake got them. I know that I am going to have a sad 6 year old daughter when she gets back from her grandparents Sunday afternoon...

Been a rough week for my chickens... We lost 2 6 week old chicks to gnats on Thursday, a lavender Orpington and a silkie. Today while my wife was cleaning out the brooder, she put our last 2 chicks inside a cage in the chicken run which usually is no big deal, but when she came out this evening to bring them in, they were gone, the cage was still locked. I figure a snake got them. I know that I am going to have a sad 6 year old daughter when she gets back from her grandparents Sunday afternoon...
Oh wow sorry about your luck this week. I've had problems with those gnats this last week too. I've got a young rooster that almost died. I ended up giving him some antihistamine as a last ditch effort to save him. He couldn't breath I'm guessing because of all the bites caused swelling of his airways. Looks like it worked. He's doing fine now. I also took some Off insect repellent and sprayed on my hand then rubbed on his neck feathers and around his comb and wattles. Also seemed to help keep the gnats at bay. In years past when these gnats get bad I would use a diluted permethrin mix to spray the coop and roost and any trees or fence post. I picked some up at the farmers coop this weekend. It has directions for poultry. Works well for me. Good luck! Better find that snake!

Oh wow sorry about your luck this week. I've had problems with those gnats this last week too. I've got a young rooster that almost died. I ended up giving him some antihistamine as a last ditch effort to save him. He couldn't breath I'm guessing because of all the bites caused swelling of his airways. Looks like it worked. He's doing fine now. I also took some Off insect repellent and sprayed on my hand then rubbed on his neck feathers and around his comb and wattles. Also seemed to help keep the gnats at bay. In years past when these gnats get bad I would use a diluted permethrin mix to spray the coop and roost and any trees or fence post. I picked some up at the farmers coop this weekend. It has directions for poultry. Works well for me. Good luck! Better find that snake!
Yikes, I didn't the gnats would cause problems with the chickens!! Mine are 11-12 weeks old, hope they are big enough now not to have to worry about that...I'm having enough problems with coyotes!!

Do any of you sell your extra eggs or meat or even veggies from home or at a farmer's market? Can you tell me what the rules and regs are for doing that? Do you just get to set up or do they have to be inspected/approved etc. Curious for future reference.
I have set up at our local farmer's market to sell Chickens and eggs for eating. We don't have any regulations about it here, but each city is different. If you have a large market in your area contact the City or Chamber of Commerce for their regulations.

The State has some rules about it, but not every farmer’s market follows them. I’ll say no more on that. Some have their own additional rules, even more severe than the State.

You really need to talk to whoever is running the specific farmer’s market and talk to them. I’d suggest in person, not over the phone and not in writing. It really depends on the specific farmers market.

Back
Top Bottom