Arkansas folks speak up.........

This time of year they don't usually lay very well. If they are in a runn with a coop for them to get into out of the weather, you can add a light and that will help the laying problem some.
How long have you had them? Sometimes it takes them a while to recuperate from being moved.

I see that you said you put a light in the coop.
Sometimes you just need to give them time. As far as th RIR goes depends on the lines they are from may not start laying until it is 7 to 8 months old.
It could also be that the SLW's are taking turns laying.
we have had the RIR since it was a day old but we got the SLW in early September and it's been about a month now since we started getting eggs.

Are they drinking plenty of water? A laying hen can drink up to 17 oz. (500ml) of water daily. Even one day without adequate water can make a hen stop laying. Always ensure that their water is fresh and palatable. Hens need consistency in everything — food, water, light exposure, and daily routines with minimal stress from any source. Ensure that their coop is free of drafts, but adequately ventilated.

Hens need a minimum of 14 hours of light per day to keep them laying, and it has to be consistent. Use a timer to keep it consistent. If your area experiences power outages like we do here, then a digital timer with a battery backup is a good option.

Here is a good resource: http://poultrykeeper.com/keeping-chickens-faq/why-have-hens-stopped-laying
Good luck!
I try to refill their water daily and it is in a shaded corner. I use a Rubbermaid corner bucket thing as I found with the smaller water dispensers they would get dirt in it or tip them over after drinking half. I keep their food trough full so they can eat when thy want to eat. The coop is open on the south facing side as of right now but covering the wire is on my husbands honey do list! Lol They get dust baths daily and the rooster has been put in a tractor as I felt he was bothering them too much"! Oh and the coop is cleaned twice weekly while they are in the garden so I don't disturb them.
Thanks for the website link I will check it out!

My Bf and I are moving to Arkansas in January just wondering how much chicken feed sells for there we raise several breeds but are going to heavily thin the flock before the move to make the move easier we will be looking to rebuild the flock as soon as we get there we are coming from Il., will probably be moving 40-50 chicks under 3 months of age. We have Marans (BBScopper, and birchens) orpingtons (lavender, GL, White and Buffs) Rhodebars, Isbars, Heritage RIRs, Delawares, Langshans, Americanas, Mottled bantam Cochins, Mille Fleur cochins, Buff bantam cochins, Mille Fleur D'uccle, Barred Rocks, Muscovy Ducks and Lion head, mini rex, mini satin rabbits as well as one Belgium Hare, We will be starting from scratch on our coops so we will have our work cut out for us and not sure what we will be moving in the way of rabbit hutches as well. So be nice to see if anyone has any hints. By the way we are purchasing a large to us 64 acre property and are bringing our two horses as well.

My Bf and I are moving to Arkansas in January just wondering how much chicken feed sells for there we raise several breeds but are going to heavily thin the flock before the move to make the move easier we will be looking to rebuild the flock as soon as we get there we are coming from Il., will probably be moving 40-50 chicks under 3 months of age. We have Marans (BBScopper, and birchens) orpingtons (lavender, GL, White and Buffs) Rhodebars, Isbars, Heritage RIRs, Delawares, Langshans, Americanas, Mottled bantam Cochins, Mille Fleur cochins, Buff bantam cochins, Mille Fleur D'uccle, Barred Rocks, Muscovy Ducks and Lion head, mini rex, mini satin rabbits as well as one Belgium Hare, We will be starting from scratch on our coops so we will have our work cut out for us and not sure what we will be moving in the way of rabbit hutches as well. So be nice to see if anyone has any hints. By the way we are purchasing a large to us 64 acre property and are bringing our two horses as well. 
I'm getting layer pellets @ the Farmers Co-Op for $11.99 50 pound bags.

Not sure what Chick Stater is I use Game Bird crumbles for my babies until laying age non-medicated for $17.95 50 pound bag.

Just make sure every bird you bring into the state is tested. You can get fined for bringing non tested birds in state.

Wow thats a bundle of critters! What area are you buying in?
I am in NWA and in some cities they will not let you have chickens or have a limit that is plain stupid.

Welcome to the Natural State. My wife and I are 2009 transplants from Oklahoma and never raised chickens before moving to the Ozarks. In what part of the state will you live?
Around here there are only two places to buy feed that are (sort of) nearby in Izard and Sharp county, and their layer pellets are $13 - $14 per 50# bag. If you want certified Non-GMO feed, the nearest place to us is in Harrison, 98 miles away. Their layer crumbles are $21 per 50# bag. Of course the larger cities will have more options and perhaps more competitive pricing.
Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have, and yes, best to plan ahead for what draye said about getting your flock tested. It sounds like your birds are quite a colorful bunch!

Well in response that is a little more then our feed runs us here in Rockford, Il. :( but we not terrible. I actually have my whole flock NPIP certified so no worries there just need to see about transferring that to Arkansas. We will be in Izard county just outside of Oxford. Yes we have a bunch of birds all Heritage no hatchery stock and actully will probably be selling off the majority of our adult flock. We do a lot of hatching and hoping to grow our chicken business a bit bigger. We currently have about 100 adult birds and have about 3 dozen eggs hatching this week needless to say we will stop setting about 3 weeks before we move our bators (each one has a 600 egg capacity). So that is a short run down on us. With 64 acres I think we may not out grow our property looking forward to a large garden and just enjoying the isolation. I will also be continuing my schooling when I get there so should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom