Arkansas folks speak up.........

We have out grown our current property and I am not comfortable with the town we live next too and tired of nosy neighbors also want to grow my chicken business and have a garden. We are going to be rebuilding all of our coops from scratch too far to move our existing coops anybody know a good source for wooden shipping crates or pallets? How about lumber where is the best place to get affordable lumbar we are going to be scrambling when we get there have found a place to keep the horses to buy us a few weeks while we build the horse corral and chicken coops who do you contact for NPIP in Arkansas. Looking for all the information I can get.
I would just make it a habit of checking craigslist... there are people who post houses or barns that you can have all the material for if you demo it for them! Pallets you generally have to buy here, but you can find them on craigslist free sometimes, just stay away from the blue ones... those aren't safe for your critters as they have chemical residue. Oh a great place is a fence builder out in cabot. They have a bunch of wood and charge something like $11 a LOAD for it. Its wood they ripped down when rebuilding fences.

I would just make it a habit of checking craigslist... there are people who post houses or barns that you can have all the material for if you demo it for them! Pallets you generally have to buy here, but you can find them on craigslist free sometimes, just stay away from the blue ones... those aren't safe for your critters as they have chemical residue. Oh a great place is a fence builder out in cabot. They have a bunch of wood and charge something like $11 a LOAD for it. Its wood they ripped down when rebuilding fences. 

Thanks that is great I will have to get the address of the fence builder from you it is going to be interesting throwing together all of our coops when we get there just sold about half my adult flock going to deliver them to their new home a week from saturday. So that will ease our burden a bit we are taking babies we are hatching from them now and in the next couple of weeks they will be our replacements and we will order more eggs as soon as the incubator is plugged in in the new house. Fingers crossed all the babies handle the move well so we have a reasonable start with the breeds I sold. Couldnt part with a few of my breeds worked to hard to get them.

Thanks that is great I will have to get the address of the fence builder from you it is going to be interesting throwing together all of our coops when we get there just sold about half my adult flock going to deliver them to their new home a week from saturday. So that will ease our burden a bit we are taking babies we are hatching from them now and in the next couple of weeks they will be our replacements and we will order more eggs as soon as the incubator is plugged in in the new house. Fingers crossed all the babies handle the move well so we have a reasonable start with the breeds I sold. Couldnt part with a few of my breeds worked to hard to get them.
I think its Bill's fence. It is off the freeway leaving cabot towards jacksonville. I think you take an access road to it...

My Bf and I are moving to Arkansas in January just wondering how much chicken feed sells for there we raise several breeds but are going to heavily thin the flock before the move to make the move easier we will be looking to rebuild the flock as soon as we get there we are coming from Il., will probably be moving 40-50 chicks under 3 months of age. We have Marans (BBScopper, and birchens) orpingtons (lavender, GL, White and Buffs) Rhodebars, Isbars, Heritage RIRs, Delawares, Langshans, Americanas, Mottled bantam Cochins, Mille Fleur cochins, Buff bantam cochins, Mille Fleur D'uccle, Barred Rocks, Muscovy Ducks and Lion head, mini rex, mini satin rabbits as well as one Belgium Hare, We will be starting from scratch on our coops so we will have our work cut out for us and not sure what we will be moving in the way of rabbit hutches as well. So be nice to see if anyone has any hints. By the way we are purchasing a large to us 64 acre property and are bringing our two horses as well. 

I am in n.e. ark, around jonesboro I get layer pellets and cracked corn at the co-op 300lbs of pellet and 100lbs of cracked corn cost me 61.34 per month.

We are also going to be looking into getting a few other animals LG dog, milk cow, milk goats, and pigs. LOL we are going to have a regular zoo lol. Granted most of that will come with time but our family goes through over a gallon of milk a day right now, I am not a big goats milk fan but would love to make soap and cheese out of their milk. We will be planting a garden as well in the spring it is going to be a very busy time for us we can not believe the list of needed items we are ending up with. Would also love to know what kind of swaps, livestock auctions, farmers markets etc. getting so excited to get down there and get started. We are planning on spending christmas there as it will take us about a week to prep the property to make it livable we will be roughing it on air mattresses and such hoping to get the electricity turned on befor we get there previous tennants left the property in rough shape going to be burning lots of trash as well as hauling large amounts to the recycler/scrap buyer. My kids are looking forward to it as well we will cut a christmas tree when we get there and spend the time in our own little world. On another note anybody know of good places to buy household items down there (for example a stove?) We have hatched out our replacement flock here in I. So will be up and ready to provide chicks come spring as I have sold off the majority of my adult flock we needed to simplify for the move. It is so hard to sit on my hands rightnow and not add eggs to the incubator so I made a deal with my BF that I would only set the lav. Orp eggs (as they are my first eggs from them) so I may end up moving eggs that are already started in the incubator will be an interesting experiment.

We are also going to be looking into getting a few other animals LG dog, milk cow, milk goats, and pigs. LOL we are going to have a regular zoo lol. Granted most of that will come with time but our family goes through over a gallon of milk a day right now, I am not a big goats milk fan but would love to make soap and cheese out of their milk. We will be planting a garden as well in the spring it is going to be a very busy time for us we can not believe the list of needed items we are ending up with. Would also love to know what kind of swaps, livestock auctions, farmers markets etc. getting so excited to get down there and get started. We are planning on spending christmas there as it will take us about a week to prep the property to make it livable we will be roughing it on air mattresses and such hoping to get the electricity turned on befor we get there previous tennants left the property in rough shape going to be burning lots of trash as well as hauling large amounts to the recycler/scrap buyer. My kids are looking forward to it as well we will cut a christmas tree when we get there and spend the time in our own little world. On another note anybody know of good places to buy household items down there (for example a stove?) We have hatched out our replacement flock here in I. So will be up and ready to provide chicks come spring as I have sold off the majority of my adult flock we needed to simplify for the move. It is so hard to sit on my hands rightnow and not add eggs to the incubator so I made a deal with my BF that I would only set the lav. Orp eggs (as they are my first eggs from them) so I may end up moving eggs that are already started in the incubator will be an interesting experiment.
You need to join Facebook animal sales groups and just keep a look out. I got a dairy goat with two calves REAL cheap (registered and from good lines). It was $150 for all three. The lady just didn't want them anymore and was selling out. It was something we tried and decided wasn't for us! I'm all for healthy eating and I love animals but I don't know how to care for some or administer shots/meds etc and vet fees can get expensive (which is why most true farmers DIY medicine/vaccines etc as much as possible)... me over here I can't even cut my dogs nails for fear of hurting them LOL.

Back
Top Bottom