Arkansas folks speak up.........

are you planning to sell any? Our have any hens available?

Yes I plan on selling some, mostly the ones that do not turn out NN. But I will probably sell a few that are NN'd.

The main reason I have that date picked out for setting is because the monthly auction Is the following Saturday and I take the ones that I do not want to keep there to sell.

I sell all chicks as straight run though.

I drove 3 hrs. Last weekend and spent $40.00 for 3 silkies. Last night something went under the hotwire and got 2 of them! Anyone have any white silkies near Fayetteville?

That is really frustrating on losing something so soon after getting them, I caught a coon a couple of weeks ago that got 2 of my best hens, then this past Tuesday I caught a opossum that got a you g pullet that I was looking forward to using in the spring.

Sorry for your loss.

Yes, it stinks to lose a chicken to any of those varmints. I lost four healthy young cockerels to 'coons on two occasions during 2012. I've since beefed up my security to foil any attempts on my chickens, and got a new dog that keeps watch. She's a Mountain Feist who lives to attack any threats to my flock. I haven't seen any coons or possums since I've had her here.
Correction: There was a possum up on the garden fence eying my flock while they were scratching and pecking in the garden late last winter, but my dog Molly wouldn't leave it alone and barked like mad. So I went up there and sent it to possum heaven.

Last edited:
That is really frustrating on losing something so soon after getting them.
Sorry for your loss.

Thanks drey. Is so nice to be comforted by people who have been there too. I want to replace them soon, but since this is to be a cold wet winter I'm wondering if I should. Sizzles & silkies can't keep themselves very warm I hear.

Thanks drey. Is so nice to be comforted by people who have been there too. I want to replace them soon, but since this is to be a cold wet winter I'm wondering if I should. Sizzles & silkies can't keep themselves very warm I hear.

For inside your coop, you might consider using a Thermo Cube (model TC-3) with a securely fastened infrared heat lamp plugged into it. The TC-3 automatically switches the current on at 35F, and off at 45F. Your Silkies will thank you. Farm and ranch stores stock them, or you can order them online from lots of places. See: http://www.thermocube.com

Hooligans7: humm, interesting invention. IT got in over the hot electric wire again last night and killed my last 2. It was definitely charged since we tested it yesterday evening. I'm both sad,mad,dispondante & wondering how much I'm going to have to spend in order to secure any furtre silkies.
1f479.png
1f629.png
1f622.png
1f608.png
)

Last edited:
Hooligans7: humm, interesting invention. IT got in over the hot electric wire again last night and killed my last 2. It was definitely charged since we tested it yesterday evening. I'm both sad,mad,dispondante & wondering how much I'm going to have to spend in order to secure any furtre silkies.
1f479.png
1f629.png
1f622.png
1f608.png
)

Best bet is to invest in a shotgun or a good .22 rifle. That usually takes care if them best.

1f479.png
1f629.png
1f622.png
1f608.png
)

So sorry about that. It's high time to make some changes to your hotwire setup, and it won't cost you much at all. My neighbor had the same problem using a single wire, so he made a double-wire system. The first loop is about 4 inches off the ground, and the second is 5 inches higher, or 9 inches off the ground. He's had no problems since, which has been over 7 years. A stray cat got fatally zapped between them last spring (I found it). We don't know if it was hunting his chickens or not, but at least his own cat has managed to stay away from the wires.

You could run a third wire a few inches higher than the second wire if you'd like even more security. Most systems can handle the extra length with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom