Arkansas folks speak up.........

Wow, that picture is breathtaking!

I'll have to look up more about Eureka Springs. I really wish I had been able to travel more these past few years, but being a student tight on money makes that hard! BYC is a pretty awesome resource though. It's always nice to talk to people that live in the area!

Hey there Arkansas folks!

I don't live in Arkansas right now, but I'm currently a third year vet student who wants to get into poultry medicine. I ended up getting an externship in Springdale, AR at Tyson next October and I'm really excited about it. However, I never really thought about living in AR and it may be a good option for me. My brother is in TX and I would eventually love to move out that way anyway.

So I was wondering what you guys might be able to tell me about Arkansas! What is the weather like? The culture? (I'm originally from NJ which has a fairly unique culture, though I live in a very country area of NJ) Are there cities and towns, or mostly a lot of farmland?

I have lived all over the World via..Uncle Sam... Army 25 years. I don't know another place I'd want to be.

You will be in a great area and will find things to do all over.. St Louis, Kansas City, Little Rock, and Tulsa are only a few hours away. That's just the large cities. You will also find so much to do all around you.

Yes the summers are hot and humid, but if you don't like the weather hang around a bit it will change.. literally. I remember an April many years ago I was wearing shorts when I went to a friend of mine. When I left a few hours later... I was walking home in the snow... brrrr

Welcome!  What kind of birds?

Thank you. I'm not sure what the type name will be since they are mixed breeds? 4 are a silver laced wydontta rooster mixed with a longhorn and then 1 is the same rooster mixed with a red sex linked hen. I got these chickens from my MIL and this was the last normal egg my red sex link laid before she went and started laying soft shelled eggs so I'm not sure how these will turn out.

We call them barnyard mutts. That’s pretty much what I have. Black mottled and red mottled green egg layers but I got bored with the same colors so I’ll put a buff rock rooster over them next year to put the rainbow back in the colors. I assume you mean leghorn instead of longhorn. Autocorrect probably got you.

That will be an interesting hatch as far as colors/patterns go but you should wind up with some pullets that lay very well.

Welcome form the Northwest corner. Glad you joined us.

Hello all! From NE Arkansas up between Jonesboro and Paragould. Have my first hatch due tomorrow! Pretty exciting!

Welcome, Roody. I'm in north central near Horseshoe Bend. Since the weather is getting chillier, how will you manage your new chicks? If I may suggest, you might use a brooder box that's heated and protected from the elements. You might be planning to do that already, and there are some excellent articles here on brooders and heat sources. Good luck!

Welcome, Roody. I'm in north central near Horseshoe Bend. Since the weather is getting chillier, how will you manage your new chicks? If I may suggest, you might use a brooder box that's heated and protected from the elements. You might be planning to do that already, and there are some excellent articles here on brooders and heat sources. Good luck!

My grandmother lives in horseshoe bend! Very pretty up there. Yes I plan to use a brooder box inside until they get older.

And yes I did mean leghorn I must not of noticed it changed.

Would of been one funny looking chicken. But I can't say much I have a rooster that thinks he's a dog. Tries to sleep in the dog pen too so he has his own little doggy house. He's quite spoiled because the other chickens are mean to him.

I've heard faint chirping coming from the eggs this morning. Not sure if it's just one or multiple but pretty excited.

Back
Top Bottom